Recent CDL A grad looking for 0 experience OTR job Philly area

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JWilks, Feb 24, 2024.

1. JWilks

JWilks Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2023
    Hi everyone. I just got my CDL A in the mail (no restrictions, can drive manual) and am now looking to get started with my first job. I used to be a big pot smoker and I stopped that for good at the end of September 2023. I don't want to risk failing a hair test, I want to play it safe and only take a urine test which I know I will pass. I was looking for OTR work to get me started and then will probably switch to local after a year unless I fall in love with OTR. I am 34 years old. I am located in the Philadelphia area suburbs. Can you guys make any recommendations for a company that would hire me with zero experience and would not hair test? I applied to Gypsum Express and my school gave me a number (I'm not sure which company it is yet, but they are running my info for an NDR report and will get back to me in a few days). I am willing to do flatbed. I don't want to go Western Express unless I have absolutely no other choice because I heard it's hard to get enough miles with them on a weekly basis. Thank you so much in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Express - flatbed division; not dry van.
    Stevens Transport - reefer company.
    `
    Nothing wrong with Western Express. Don't believe all the BS you read about it.
    @bryan21384

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    austinmike and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe some Stevens Transport drivers on this forum can clue you in on Stevens Transport.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you go flatbed with Western, it's much easier to get miles. Despite what everyone says, it's a decent place to get experience. They have a higher demand for flatbed drivers, so it will.be easier to stay rolling. I never had to wait on a load with them. Contrary to popular belief, I actually made a living with them. I ran all 48, and traveled to the west coast with regularity. The dry van drivers get pigeon holed to either coast for the most part. Flatbed will have you running all 48. The cpm won't be the most starting out, but that's going to be the case your first year. When you look for a trucking company, don't pay attention to reviews. Everyone's story is different. No matter where you go, it's all about what you put into it.There isn't anything wrong with Gypsum Express, but if you go with Western, you'll become .pre versatile in the flatbed world because of the variety of loads they haul. Gypsum Express seems to haul primarily sheet rock. Don't treat Western like the red head step child, call them up and listen to what they have to say.

Halfdeadly, Dwellsouth and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Pretty tough job market right now -- for new CDL grads with no experience.

To get started anytime soon -- you may well have to take what you can get (I did, as well).

-- L

Dwellsouth Thanks this.
  7. ttypewe4jim

ttypewe4jim Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    I'd also check out foodliner pulling liquid and dry bulk tanker.... got terminals in langhorne pa and newark de.... can be a very good opportunity you can definitely make money there running regionally.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.