Recent Grad in need of help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewbieRecentGrad, Aug 11, 2007.

1. NewbieRecentGrad

NewbieRecentGrad Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Metro Detroit, MI
    I have recently graduated from trucking school and applied to so many companies that I can't even remember them all. I was contacted by one of these companies and they arranged for me to go to their orientation. I dicussed my driving record, criminal history with the recruiter and was assured that "it's all ok". I was given a confirmation number for a rental car, hotel room and I was on my way. I arrived at orientation, began to fill out forms, etc. approx. 3 hours into day one I was told that I had a phone call. My recruiter was on the phone and said, "You're going home." I was booted out of the hotel, given the run around, and finally given a bus ticket home. I called my recruiter since he was nowhere to be found and I have never met the man, to ask him why I was being sent home. He said it was my driving record. (Which makes no sense since I was given a rental car to drive to orientation) Upon getting home, I called again to ask why I was denied employment. I was told, "Safety didn't want to proceed any further." I asked to speak to "safety" and they said "No" and hung up on me. What is the next step of action I can take? I am double checking my criminal history & driving record and and fixing any and all errors that I have noticed. I will be contacting the offices to obtain my DAC report. I have never drove a truck other than at my trucking school. So, I don't know if the DAC report will be helpful. It has come to my knowledge that there are certain charges on my ICHAT report that should have been fixed years ago. I have filled out so many applications before I knew of the errors in my criminal history report & I'm concerned that all these companies have denied me employment due to the incorrect information they have on me. In short, I have no idea why I have been denied employment and if there is any action that I can take against this company? Should I fill out any more applications? What should I do about the applications I filled out before I fixed my criminal history? Im concerned that may be affecting the fact that I can't get hired. I would appreciate any type of assistance or advise that you can offer. I thank you for taking the time to read this.:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

You are in a tough spot. So you know for sure that you have inaccuracies on your criminal background? Once that stuff is out there in cyberspace it can be impossible to get rid of. How about your driving record, is that subject to the same inaccuracies? I know that we were told that once a CDL permit is opened, nothing can be removed for 55 years. I don't know if that's California or Federal. We made sure to go over the long form from the DMV before the permit was pulled. Got rid of one DUI that way, the other one was about 3 months shy of the 13 year purging limit. Now that you were sent home during orientation, your company, who never officially hired you yet, will list you as fired. What company was this?

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Thats tough. Although, if you knew about the insdustry, youd know that they look very carefully at driving records. Im worried about mine too as I have a speeding ticket for ten over and I schmucked a deer this spring (actually both were within two days, lol). I have a ticket from fall of 04...but the 3 year rule should take that off in a few weeks. I got pulled over yesterday too, went ten over and thankfully the officer just gave me a warning, no ticket, otherwise Id be in a snag.

Also, it sounds like you applied knowing there were innacuracies on there. I don't think you can really do anything against the company because as they went through your background further (this happens alot during orientation), they came across this issue which is on your record, valid or not.

5. NewbieRecentGrad

NewbieRecentGrad Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Metro Detroit, MI
    My driving record - Two speeding tickets & I had a suspension due to an unpaid driver responsiblity fee. It was only suspended for 5 months. I was never aware of any inaccuracies in my criminal record. I started to investigate it because the company that I was denied from working at would NOT give me a reason that they denied me employment. I've been checking EVERYTHING out. I need to know what the problem is before I fill out another application and the same thing happens all over again.

6. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    On some of these applications you sent out, you say you never got a response. If it hasn't been over 90 days, I'd suggest calling the company recruiter directly and asking about the status of your paperwork. That way IF your driving record were an issue, he will tell you, if not, it gives you the opportunity to tell him what you have recently learned.
    I doubt, if the apps were made longer ago than 3 months, that you are even in their files so you might just re-apply and check the box that you had applied before but not gotten a reply (some apps only ask if you have worked for them before, not if you have applied before).
    You'd need to check with your DMV about removing certain info such as the suspension. I received one long ago when moving from one state to another because the first state still had me on their records and my insurance company only sent my proof of insurance to the new state of residence. I had to attend court in the old state to show both my proof of insurance as well as my new license - the suspension was then lifted and removed from my record. Because of no recipricosity (sp?) agreement, my new state of residence never even knew all this took place.

7. munrkr

munrkr Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    What's an ICHAT report?

8. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
  9. roadhog

roadhog Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2007
    No man's land, Ohio
    If there is nothing else on your record, it could be this. My husband has one to - he's up front with everyone about it and we have a letter explaining that he carries an SR-22 bond from our insurance carrier. They all questioned him about it, and some turned him down because of it, that's when we called our insurance carrier to see what we could do. When he changes jobs, he gets a new letter from the carrier to explain about the suspension. Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

10. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The suspension is not a moving violation. Doesn't that change things?

11. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    When you were in Driving School why didn't they try to get you pre-hired with a company before you graduated?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.