Recent Grad Looking To Hear From Stevens Drivers..... Need Info..

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by 232trucker, Jul 5, 2013.

1. flue

flue Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Actually I wouldnt mind....The 8 hour split has always baffled me.

Corporal_Clegg Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Corporal_Clegg Thanks this.
  4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
  5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX

Actually it is simple Math. We'll start with the Drive line...

In a given day you have a 21 hour cycle with regards to the drive line, meaning 11 hrs you can drive and 10 you must be on break. With the 8/2 split you are merely dividing up the times, but you will still end up with then same hours.

Let's start with no split. We drive for 11 hrs, we break for 10... that is 21 hrs.in other words D+B=21
    When we take an 8hr break we are merely splitting D and B so let's call them D1 and D2 and B1 and B2 and assume D - D1 = D2 and that B - B1 = B2. We already have determined D = 11 and B = 10

Remember a 21 hr cycle so the formula is D1+B1+D2+B2 = 21

So we drive for 6hrs and take an 8hr break 6+8+D2+B2 = 21... 11-6 = 5 and 10-8. = 2 so our equation really looks like 6+8+5+2=21...
    Now after that 2hr break I regain the 6 from D1 because the formula does not change, it is just reordered. It becomes B1+D2+B2+D1, or 8+5+2+6=21.

Another way to look at this, and simpler in my opinion is if you add the drive hours on either side of a break, they can not exceed 11 and if you add the break hours on either side of driving the sum can not be less than 10.

Drive/Break/Drive... Drive +Drive can not be greater than 11; Break/Drive/Break Break + Break can not be less than 10.

Simple enough? Good!

The 14hour clock works exactly the same only using a 24 hour cycle... 14+10 =24 so let's say we used 7hrs to drive the six in our earlier example, then took an 8hr break...

7 +8=15, and we know we have to have another 2 hr break so we add that and have 17hrs out of 24 accounted for so that leaves us 7hrs on our 14 to drive that last 5 hrs.

As I said it works the same, the hours before and after each break can not exceed 14 and the breaks on each side of the hours can not be less than 10.

Now where is this advanteageous? Let's say you are on a multi stop run and pressed for time. You are 6hrs from your fist drop and 2 from your second.

If we take a 10 hour break we have 14 hours to make both drops and find a safe haven to park, so that gives us 5 hrs for unloading at both stops. Now pretend on is Walmart where you know it is going to take up to 4 hrs... doesn't leave a lot of time for the second.

Now if plan our trip accordingly, knowing we need 6 hrs to make the first drop, we are able to drive 5 and use 6 of our 14 and then take an 8hour break, this allows us then to drive the 6 to the receiver and 8 hrs to do if, , let's say it takes us 7 to drive that 6, then while being unloaded we take a 2 hour break. After this two hours we will get back the 5 we drove before the break, and have the 7 we haven't used off our 14, so we are able to make it to our second drop in 2 hrs leaving us 5hrs on our 14 and 3 on our 11 to get unloaded and find a safe haven, rather than the 3hrs we would have had taking a full 10.

I have also used this successfully when pressed for time to avoid taking that mandated 30 minute break. Run 6 sleep 8 run 5 2hr break, repeat etc. Never ho the 8hr mark, so no need for the 30.

Hope that clears it up some LOL

Sorry Chuck!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    capper17, flue, spectacle13 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. flue

flue Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Thats the first time I've seen it as an equation. That is very helpful KMac. Appreciate it!

KMac Thanks this.
  7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    I made that whole equation thing up, but in my analytical mind it clicked once I did.

8. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Having an advanced degree in Physics I appreciate the math lesson. You've done what every math teacher is suppose to do...reduce to the simplest form.
    you may move to the front of the class.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Can I just add (pun intended) that I really hate math. It is a useful tool, but I really dislike it. I made it through Trig, and that was enough for me.

10. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I just puked!

But, I guess if it helps Flue, it was worth it... :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.