Recent Graduate in NE/Central Florida

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by taylormade1, Dec 4, 2023.

1. taylormade1

taylormade1 Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2023
    Gainesville, Florida
    Hello Everyone!
    My husband just finished school three weeks ago. We are located in Gainesville Florida. We paid out of pocket for his schooling. I have been applying like crazy everywhere for him through Drivers Pulse, Indeed etc! He has a fairly serious felony charge (NOT sexual but violent) from 1991 and DUI from 2011. Nothing else since those. He has worked at the same place for 12 years and has great references. I am kinda doubting myself for not doing better research into how hard it was going to be for him to get someone to take a chance on him with his past and having no experience. I’m asking if anyone has any advice or could give me some suggestions on places I am missing for him to apply. I have applied at sooo many and very few have even reached out. He has gotten a couple conditional offers from big carriers but then only to be turned down a week later when his background check comes in because of his charge from 1991. FYI: He is always honest upfront when talking to recruiters. He was so proud when he passed his test and got his license. I just don’t want him (or me) to get discouraged and he lose his confidence. He’s the most responsible, honest and reliable man I know. Please help! Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Hiring has slowed down recently for the industry. Lots of new drivers are not getting hired like happened up until 2 years ago. When there are many new drivers with no felony backgrounds getting hired with a violent felony is more difficult than no felony. The DUI is old enough most companies can hire your husband. Having a felony has usually caused some difficulty getting hired. Some companies will never hire a felon, but not many of those. Some companies, often called second-chance companies, can and do hire some felons. MOST companies are somewhere in between "never hire" and "always hire" for those with felony background. Don't conclude he CAN'T get hired. It just may take more time.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Schneider veteran here....

my latest gig: hazmat tanker, hauling fuel (but NOT with Schneider); home daily.

Current CDL job market "snapshot": it's difficult to accurately describe just how bad the market is (for new drivers -- less than a year of recent experience)....without using severely impolite language (& thus -- I won't :p).

The point here is that it's tough getting started right now -- almost regardless of how checkered one's past might be.

The DUI is over 10 years old; the felony is of course much older than that -- so I think it's really a matter of knocking on the right doors.

Some GOOD news: you're above I-4 in FL -- & because (in part) of that -- you have a fighting chance.

If you haven't tried them already -- put in a full application over at Western Express:

Home - Western Express

-- L

Bud A. and tscottme Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you haven't already -- apply to some of the carriers mentioned in this other Forum thread:

Felonies

-- L

Bud A. Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't understand the problem with the felony; that happened 32 years ago!
    ~
    Try this one:
    Pritchett Trucking Inc
    Locations at various locations in Florida including Gainesville.
    Sometimes hires a new cdl school grad.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    JBS Carriers | Home
    • Mentor and Training programs are available for drivers with less than 6 months of experience

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TransAm Trucking | Trucking Jobs & Truck Driving Careers
    TransAm Trucking offers a tuition reimbursement program to our student drivers. We want to invest in you and help you repay your truck driving school loan. We hire graduates of truck driving school programs across the country and we will reimburse $125 per month up to $6,000.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.