Recievers send u to different location.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by D.Tibbitt, Feb 25, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    So ive run into this situation a couple times as a company driver but never as a o/op . Well i think it happens more so in flatbed but figured id ask any body who has had a similar situation.

U get to the delivery location and address that is on ur bills, but that customer wants u to drive out to the jobsite, say 30 miles away, and to offload the freight there. As a company driver i would always clear it with dispatch and go out there no questions asked. But now as an o/op i am getting tired of people wasting my time and energy and i told them it is going to cost extra money to send me out of route. i need to work it out with the broker first, to make sure i am getting paid for the extra miles and time, that it is going to cost me and my equipment.. And i wont be moving an inch until the new rate con is in my inbox. Well they ended up unloading me at the warehouse after i told them that.

My question is , Is this a reasonable request ? Have u guys ever been successful with getting that extra money ? Or would u have just gone out to the jobsite without raising any questions about it? And u guys know as well as i do , 30 miles away can quickly turn into 50 or more

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Don’t work for free. Write up bol and quote them a price. If they don’t want to pay get it off my truck or haul it yourself. Used to have this happen all the time. Reason they are doing it is because it saves them money. Did it a few times at first till I got tired of them wasting my time. And I was a company driver. Time management is essential now with Elogs.

4. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Thank u. What would u say would be a good number to quote them for, generally speaking?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  5. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    When I was a shipping manager any run under a hundred miles I quoted at an hourly rate. Loading and unloading times don’t change and they become a larger percentage of the under load time. In my experience getting unloaded at a yard verses a job site was much quicker. Job sites have a way of eating up your day. How much money do you want to gross per day. Figure every run is going to be a minimum of three hours by the time you load, drive there and unload. Don’t forget those extra miles going back to where you started if you went out of route. Start high and go down.

6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That was exactly my mindset , the last place i wanted to go was a jobsite because they are time killers , thank u for the help and info it is much appreciated

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  7. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Sort of the same thing not long ago. I deliver to a job site they want me to drop my trailer and will unload later. Nope not happening I run a side kit trailer and no one is going to take it apart but me and also I’m no a warehouse on wheels and I need to use my trail to make my living. They refused the load. I call shipper it was prepaid by them they say that was not the deal bring it back I did and as soon as I return to shipper they want load back they paid again to have delivery same day $800 on 100 miles was nice and have delivered to jobs for them sence no issues

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They want the truck and trailer?

Pay me. Otherwise honey has no time for you.

singlescrewshaker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That is crazy, It is amazing how some places expect for us to be at their mercy like we dont have other loads to pickup or deliver

10. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Very reasonable request, large companies charge extra couple hundred $’s for extra stop + 100+ hourly for time. If your leased on with company that should all be your money, carrier your leased to had there profit in original contract. Unfortunately, it usually doesn’t happen this way

singlescrewshaker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yes i am leased with company , im not sure how i was gonna get the money but i #### sure wasnt going to a jobsite either , i was dialing the brokers phone number when they came knocking on the door saying we can unload u here

singlescrewshaker, INRUT and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.