Record keeping

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have been looking at ways of setting up a good record keeping system.

There is a free Google accounting app called wave, that basically does the same or similar as Quicken. That will take care of expenses, and it will do invoicing and keep track of accounts receivable. You also can scan receipts in. Bills of lading and other non expense paperwork that needs to be kept can be scanned and sent to Google Drive.

Also Google Sheets has spreadsheets that once you set it up the columns will total themselves. I think that will work well for ifta and fuel purchases. Deadhead and loaded miles could be put in there also.

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm missing, if anything.

Daily records should be ifta mileage and fuel purchases, logs or time sheets, post-trip inspections and bills of lading. I figured that if I took a few minutes everyday and scan them in and loaded them up to Google Drive and put the mileage on to the Google spreadsheet that would do it for the Daily records.

Other things to be kept are the driver qualification file, drug testing, logs, bills of lading, maintenance, and anything from FMCSA, DOT, Insurance, Etc.

1) what else is there to be done daily or. not daily?

2) is there an easier way to keep track of. these things?

My truck is non ELD by the way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    One thing to note, and it's a risk decision so no right answer.. Google is quite famous for canceling their free offerings that make them little to no money. Quicken, on the other hand, has been around since 1983.

Just make sure if you do use Google, you have an exit plan for if they do shutter the service.

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I will never use a free cloud service. The agreements I have read, everything you post on the cloud becomes their property or they have the right to use the data.

I use guicken on my laptop in the truck and the PC at home.

Ifta I do pen and paper. I use my GPS to keep track of fuel. I write odometer at state lines for mileage.

I have fillable PDF for invoicing via email. Or print if customer requires a hard copy.

Good luck

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  5. Commander1

Commander1 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Excel, you can do virtually anything with it. And I think it comes on most computers already.

6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.