Red powdery stuff on ac compressor? (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Oct 22, 2017.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    So I noticed this today on my 2014 cascadia. Red stuff on the AC compressor belt wheel and the spring of the belt tensioner. What do you think it is, coolant residue? (I do have a very slow coolant leak, like a gallon once every two months kinda leak)... Or is it AC Freon? I didn't think it was red, though...

Should I worry? 20171022_181602.jpg 20171022_181552.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Coolant. A/c is either clear, or maybe yellow. Maybe blowing back from the rad. I think the water pump on those is on the other side.

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's not magesium metal parts is it? If anything I don't like magnesium because it will burn...

5. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Agreed that's coolant I believe, had the same residue on my tank when my compressor got ill

6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yeah, that's what I figured. It's a slow leak, but it's gotta be going somewhere. Just weird that it's so concentrated...

7. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Not sure what those parts are made of, but I wiped off all the red crap with a wet towel just in case.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Is it dry? If it's dry, I'd be ready to replace the A/C clutch.

9. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Thanks for the heads up. It is pretty dry and powdery. And I did have an AC related check engine code pop up recently...

Just curious, if it's a sign of the AC clutch going, what is it? Is it coolant, or some kind of internal AC clutch lubricant?

Also, can I just wait until the AC clutch craps out on its own, or will it damage other parts when it goes? (Other than just making the AC not work, that is. I can deal with that, it's already almost November...)

And lastly... is the AC clutch easy to replace on my own? Or is it a shop job? And is it a separate part, or do I have to replace the whole compressor?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    AC clutch is a mechanical issue. once it goes you need either a new clutch or a new compressor depending on how you process that SCREQUEALING coming from the hood... It wont take long to burn that compressor. Maybe pop the belt and kill the other hotel loads on them causing computer to fill you with failure and shutdown codes.

11. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Hmm... you had me at SCREQUEALING. I don't want that. I guess I will just avoid using the AC until I can make it to a dealership and buy a replacement clutch. Thanks for the advice.

PS, if I avoid using AC, the compressor won't operate and deteriorate further, right?[/QUOTE]

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.