Red's ELD journey

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by RedForeman, Jun 26, 2017.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I ran the 8 first this trip, it's not fixed, but as soon as I did the short one, it was correct. Shows no violation, I actually had 10 hours and 59 minutes of drive time recorded.

Then I get to Jersey, and the Goethals was closed eastbound, used most of the cushion to arrive after I lost my turn in Brooklyn getting to Outerbridge and back up to the SIE. I'm sitting here on a dreary day, waiting to load in the morning in Linden.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    LOL. That's about my luck. I was expecting to be driving with a hat over mine to hide the zeros as I moved from roughly Wilmington DE down to Florence SC. There's one in VA always open. Then it worked right for once.

4. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They don't see what you see in inspection mode.

They do ask the darndest questions, though, like why did I stop in Gary, IN to let the rush die down before going to Bolingbrook?

Most of my interactions with LEO are thankfully in the midwest.

5. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm aware of that. On the other hand, with it right up there on the dash in plain sight, I don't care to take any chances. I don't even want to look at it when it shows zeroes. Just distracting.

25(2)+2 and Bank_Lbr Thank this.
  6. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They should fix that, but they don't want to talk to mere drivers.

I haven't found another way to check, so I go to inspection to read what has been recorded for miles. Probably is another way to do it, but I was curious as to just what could be seen by someone after being locked out of everything else.

Auto fill just substituted infection for inspection, seems fitting, somehow.

7. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    They hear about it from me every time I contact them. For anything. I'm going to start writing it on my check when I pay the bill. It riles me up a little bit when they release all sorts of cool stuff like Macropoint integration and driver portal (that does pretty much one thing), then still have this glaring mistake go untouched.

On the bright side, it's not as bad as much of the rest on the market.

E-mail yourself your logbook pages is about the only thing I can think of doing from the unit on the truck. Miles and engine hours (if available) show on each status change, total for the day in the header. I'm not anywhere near my truck, so can't poke around to see if it shows in the edit logs or equipment section.

If there's something specific, I'll find it in the portal and screenshot if you want. The driver feature controls really don't have anything relevant to mileage. Mainly the extended logging status (YM/PC), edits, and exceptions. Here's what I see for that. Two parts of a long panel that has everything about the driver.

eroad-driver-1.jpg eroad-driver-2.png

deathB4decaf, Bank_Lbr and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  8. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I threatened to quit one time when told not to take splits unless I could do 8 first, they didn't want to pay me to sit extra, so they gave in pretty easily, turns out the federal auditor told them that. The fed had it wrong, too.

Never talked to that guy but many had the same idea.

I just kept my mouth shut and did it like I was supposed to. Much easier than fighting over nothing.

As far as getting eroad to see the light, I don't believe the responsible party has acknowledged that he/she/it has made an error. It's a simple fix.

I'm sitting at Snowshoe, PA I80 westbound rest area, with a purported 6 mile backup. Stop and go.

CB lawyers are giving me an education.

Heck with the knee boots, I need a wet suit.

Bank_Lbr and RedForeman Thank this.
  9. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    It's not as easy as you think, although it's not brain surgery either. No doubt there's a change process, to make sure the improvement doesn't break 3 other things. I come from that kind of work (IT process management). A 5 minute change to a caption can take months to get through the change control process if it's needlessly complex enough.

My guess is: Eroad generally serves larger fleets that tend to run more regular routes and never do split berth logging. Their price point is several hundred dollars above what 99% of cheapskate independent truckers will look at. They are going to listen to the $600/mo customer with 20 units way before the $70/mo guy with only two gets heard.

Edit to add: It doesn't help that only 1 out of 50 drivers understand split berth well enough to log it correctly on paper if they had to.

10. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    After driving a regular route this trip, other than they changed the delivery time, and hitting stop and go 3 times in PA on 80, I can't figure what a regular route is, and their ELD doesn't follow the rules, maybe it was right for New Zealand, but not for here. I'd report them except it would be another headache I don't need.
    If someone gets mad enough about it, they will be reported, I know of a certain perio menopausal lady driver who would love to give them grief.

11. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It worked out I needed a couple of 8s back to back, and it really screwed up on that this time.

I ran it from what I knew off paper, and took the short one, and then it was ok, again.

I literally got no time back and had the drive timer in violation, too. Then it was ok.

The ECM readout is variable, but usually 101 miles short of the odometer reading.

Might be that I'm running during the midnite hour as a rule.
    It got the trip to Fridley, MN right on the money for miles, occasionally, it does that.

I was there before midnite.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.