Reefer converted to dry van.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Fibrahim01, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Fibrahim01

Fibrahim01 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2024
    Hi guys I am new to owner operator, and wanted to know, I am thinking about buying this trailer it’s a 1992 looks pretty good. But I am not sure if the floor would be an issue for shippers, also I would like to know what can I haul and not haul with this

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A 1992? It's junk. You could probably pick up a 2014 dry van in excellent condition for fairly cheap these days.

4. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    How much you paying for it?

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  5. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Xtra Lease sells off some good used trailers now and again.

JoeyJunk and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can haul about any dry freight unless the trailer floor is metal and some pallets have to be nailed down to the floor.

JoeyJunk and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    No mention of the size, or weight. Is it a 53’? Besides the metal floor, it’s probably heavy. Reefers get waterlogged over time. It may be narrow too. Over 10 yrs old. Too many disadvantages. You’re sacrificing the few things that sometimes are required for certain loads. It’s tempting to go cheap. Very bad idea. Newer Trailers are worth every extra penny. The newer the better. They don’t depreciate as fast as Trucks. I’ll go further based on my own experience and say don’t keep one too long. Eventually they become storage trailers. Almost worthless. Scrap price.

8. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Why offer a customer worn out equipment instead of the best? Look at the guys that went out of business on this site. Many did not have some outstanding gear. Look at the ones that are doing well in difficult times. Ie.. @Siinman or @Long FLD. Performance is a result of striving to excel in your service. Steer away from mediocre and towards excellence.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Unless you have a restored to oem specs. If such a thing exists. You'll be mostly out of luck.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Everybody is doing well on the internet. I paid cash for brand new equipment too. For the one truck guy nobody really cares what equipment you've got. They don't care about that period really. Just do the job like you said you would is all most customers want. But a 32 year old trailer is quiet the stretch. This guy is looking to buy a 32 year old junk reefer to use in the most overly competitive segment of trucking there is outside of power only. Wow...

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I just picked up an 02 53x102 storage trailer for 2k how much cheaper do you want to get?

JoeyJunk, Crude Truckin' and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.