Refinacing a currently leased truck

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Singular_Lupus, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Singular_Lupus

Singular_Lupus Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Not helpful at all "I glide 47".

jbgrim72 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Why didn’t you say that to begin with? If they hold the paper, they get to make the rules. So they won’t let you refi property that you don’t own? That’s pretty standard. Remember you can’t borrow your way out of debt. Hard lesson. Time to learn all this is before you sign on the dotted line. Sorry, it sounds like you’ve been slaving away for 3 or 4 years, and your only option is to give the truck back, with nothing to show for all your hard work.

But I have to ask - where did all the money go? Do you personally have money management problems?

You also have the option to sit down with SFI and have a serious conversation, you’ll never know what their position is until you ask.

But don’t make one bad lease into 2 bad leases!

good luck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Singular_Lupus

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    No, SFI themselves won't do another lease until the current one ends. They're ok with another bank, etc. taking it over though. That's why i'm looking for recommendations for lenders (banks?), etc to talk to.

6. Zigzag777

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    I doubt that you have any equity in the truck. No equity - nothing to borrow against

BTW One of the worst handles I’ve seen on here in a long time. And no I’m not asking for any details

7. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Not supposed to be helpful just don't lease purchase no never never never lease,,

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  8. paulf

paulf Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2012
    SE WI
    US Bank will finance equipment up to $250,000 if you have been in business at least two years. It is easy to open up a sole proprietor checking account with them. Myself and several of my trucking clients have sole proprietor checking accounts with the bank.

jbgrim72 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Zigzag777

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Opening a checking account will not make him eligible to get a loan. Maybe you missed what he said in his original post - well he didn’t exactly say it, but he just doesn’t have the cash to keep up with the payments, or he wouldn’t be looking for a loan, to payoff his lease.

I think his first step should be with SNI, see if they’ll re-negotiate his lease. Given the virus, they probably are offering something, they don’t want all those trucks back.

Banks never loan you money when you need it. Has anyone else noticed that?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  10. paulf

paulf Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2012
    SE WI
    If you are going to ask a regular bank or credit union for a loan, part of the process is going to be having a business checking or savings account with the financial institution, because they will want to take the monthly payment out of their bank account.

I have had several business clients, including owner operators, ask for and receive a business line of credit from their bank or credit union in the last couple months, so they are still loaning money in spite of what is going on.

11. Singular_Lupus

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Actually, I do make enough to keep up with the current payments. It just means I'm never home, and can't easily put any money away for things like really building up my maint. account or extra savings. The point of doing this is to get ahead of the game. For example, this week is the first time i've been home since Christmas.

jbgrim72, Dave_in_AZ and Zigzag777 Thank this.
  12. Zigzag777

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    That is a mighty long time to be away from home, almost 6 months. I salute you!
    And thanks for the clarification, I better understand why you need to go local. Still that payment is a boat anchor. Have you tried talking to someone at SNL?
    Good luck in finding some help to get things more manageable.
    Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs