Registering question

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by RItrucker36, Dec 18, 2023.

1. RItrucker36

RItrucker36 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2022
    Good morning everyone. I currently run a semi with flatbed and dry vans. Just picked up a 32’ gooseneck to tow with my 2500 due to a high customer demand. My question is:
    Truck gvw 10,000
    Trailer gvw 22,000
    Truck gcwr listed on a ram site is 22,000
    Another Ram website lists max gooseneck trailer weight of 20,000 and fifth wheel weight of 25,000.
    Now for the messed up part. My state claimed they have never issued an Ifta decal for a pickup truck. The IRP office states it can either be registered for whatever weight I want with them or just keep a commercial plate. My customers shipments can weight 10-11k so hoping to figure out what weight do I register as, keep commercial plates, it’s just conflicting. I know guys derate trailers but in this case it’s not what I want to do. Thanks for any insight here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    A lot of states have regulations that are state specific . It is best to get guidance from someone with knowledge of your state.

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Out in the real world nobody cares what the RAM website says the "GCWR" is for your truck.

You could possibly get away with a 26,000 lb plate registration and not need IRP/IFTA. That truck probably weighs 8,000, trailer maybe 9,000 if it's a 40 footer with a pair of 10k's under it...those are fairly heavy trailers. That would leave you with 9,000 lbs of payload on the trailer. You'd want to go weigh your setup on a cat scale full of fuel with you in it to see for sure. Theoretically you'd have to plate your truck higher to take full advantage of the weight capacity of that trailer. If it's got a 22,000lb GVWR and weighs 9,000 lbs, you can theoretically load 13,000 lbs onto it, so you'd have a 22,000 lb trailer and a 8,000 lb truck for 30,000 lbs combined. You'd have to have like a 32k or 33k plate on the power unit to be comfortably legal. Each state does their plate weight registrations differently so you'd have to inquire with you local licensing office. But if you can get away with 26,000 lb registration it will save you a lot of paperwork and money not needing IRP.

2500 single rear is a little bit light for that kind of work. About 7,000 is max on the rear axle and you'd probably need helper bags. A 1-ton DRW would be a lot better idea.

5. RItrucker36

RItrucker36 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2022
    That’s what I was wondering. My local IRP office is great and easy to deal with. They said try to keep it under cdl for less cost and aggravation as my tow vehicle is also my personal vehicle. I got it mainly to handle smaller local loads and one customer who on occasion has loads up to 10k. Anything over and I run the 48’. Just for fyi I can it to the CAT scale in my area. Empty with full fuel and supplies, front 4260 rear 4740 trailer 7200. It’s a 32’ because I didn’t need the 40’ capacity. I stay local and like I said got it for one client and the once in a while local work. I guess I need to derate the trailer though to keep it from having IRP plates on my pickup.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Okay so you’re at just a hair over 15,000 empty. A 26k registration would let you load 10,000-10,500. Don’t see any reason to go any higher than that and get into IRP/IFTA. They are trying to steer you in the right direction there.

Since you have a CDL it doesn’t matter what your trailer is rated at. But yes a 22k GVWR trailer being pulled by a 10k GVWR power unit puts you at 32k combined, so whoever drives that does have to have a CDL to be legal. Over 26k combined is the cutoff for the driver licensing requirements.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.