regulations

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by catfisher56, Apr 11, 2007.

1. catfisher56

catfisher56 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Hey All;

I am 56 with a ton of experience in life but not in OTR trucking. I have driven some trucks , and I am a smooth shifter in any vehicle. My biggest problem is the regs, that govern trucking, I have never had a DWI or DUI. one wreck, that was not my fault, and no moving violations in 30 years, I was a welder for 33 yrs. and a LPN(nurse) for 5 years. I am ready to get back into the male run part of life and I'm no sexist, I have been married to the same wonderful woman for 36 yrs. But a surgery I had on my neck and the meds I have to take since the surgery, which have NO bearing on my ability to work or operate anything, shine a dark light on my past. There is no way that all the truckers out there are so squeaky clean that they don't have to take something to get them by. HTN or Diabetes or whatever, none of us are as healthy as we would like to be.
    And depression seems to be a big problem but it's manageable with meds as I know because I take them.Any help ya'll could give me would be great.

Thanks

Kirk

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    To the best of my knowledge, persons with HTN or insulin controlled diabetes are prohibited from driving commercial vehicles.

Section 391.41(b)(12) states: A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV. This exception does not apply to methadone.

(b)(9) Has no mental, nervous, organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with his/her ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely.

Here is a link to the list of prohibited drugs:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_11.htm

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Are you taking pain medication or valiums etc? I can't recall the exact drug name of valiums etc.

There is certain drug classes you can't take. Vicodin, Norco, Valium, Zanex, Darvocete, oxycotton, oxycodone etc. Are one's you can not be taking while driving a CMV. That's just a general list not a complete list.

Your anti depressants should be fine.

A good rule of thumb is if it says do not take this medicine while driving it will probably be a no no to the DOT regulations.

5. catfisher56

Apr 9, 2007
    Heyns57:

Thanks for the info. as all the meds on the list are none of mine. So maybe I still have a chance. Controlled and uncontrolled HTN are miles apart. I can't and won't lie about anything. My honesty may be my biggest downfall, and maybe I am looking onto the wrong profession.

Thanks

Kirk

6. catfisher56

Apr 9, 2007
    LogsRus;

No I don't need pain meds for me now. Of the list that Heyns57 sent none of my current meds are on that list. Thanks for everybody replying to my post I may still be able to make it.

Thanks

Kirk

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good deal! Hopefully you will be trucking soon :).

GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted when you make it

8. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    A guy had arthritis in his knees and occasionally took pain medication. One day he slipped while climbing on his rig, and required a couple of stitches in a hand. Of course, his employer sent him for a drug test as many employers do whenever there is an accident or injury. It turns out that the pain medication he took that day was actually his wife's prescription. He was fired. Then he tried to re-hire at his previous job where I worked. His previous job would not take him back due to the circumstances. There must be a lesson here somewhere.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.