Rejected load, detention layover pay

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by albloomfield, Oct 12, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I once had a shipper in Mass, I think Springfield in one of the old Mill complexes. They make Noxzema female cream skin product containers, the little blue cups.

I show up with a reefer that had a old Carrier duct up top on the ceiling inside. All you have to do is tip two pallets forward just a little and wedge it in and then proceed to load the rest of the trailer to the doors with 22 more pallets. No weight at all. 15 minutes and we are on our way right?

Shipper: NO. BEAT IT. I aint loading YOU.

(Because of that reefer duct making him work a minute wedging the first two pallets in a 48 footer...) all you have to do with that forklift is tilt it forward a smidge then drop it into place under the duct on the deckplates.

The shipper was most vile and adamant I aint getting loaded. Went over the numbers, PO order number, customer address, name of same etc etc etc all the way down yes yes yes yes...

now load me.

NO. Not that trailer.

Get me that forklift I'll put those two pallets in to start you off.

NO.

A 4 hour round of phone calls to my dispatcher who by now has started to chain smoke and drink whiskey to put up with my whining on one phone and deal with the hangry broker on the other end.

When a Yankee like that says NO. He means NO.

I don't recall any other rejections quite like that other than Kraft when they get a whiff of that Coffee I used to sweep my trailer prior to arriving.

albloomfield and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ButterDiesel

ButterDiesel Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Not a shipper, but my very first week as a brand new Schneider driver.
    Don't remember where I left from, but was in Jersey and needed fuel. I was new to driving, trip planning, etc. Our trusty little driver handbook said I could fuel at a nearby stop, so I stopped and fueled, as I was down to 1/4 tank on the gauge. Place said to call my company as it's not going through. Call Schneider and they say the place isn't an authorized fuel stop. I told them the page number in the handbook and say that's where I'm at. No dice; not authorized. They want ME to pay for it. I'm losing it, cussing yelling, begging, etc. They're not budging. I told them it's their truck, their trailer, but if I'm buying the fuel I'm going straight home (Pittsburgh PA)and they can get their truck. Sat there for 12 hours before they gave in and paid for the fuel. There's a LOT of trucking companies out there, stick to your guns dude.

4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I know the pain too.....
    They reject it, won't say you a word. When you see a green light you go there hoping to get the signed BOL but they tell you that they rejected it. The crap is back inside the trailer, and they want you to sign the acknowledgment and leave. Not leaving is the hard part, they would never be convinced by a driver to offload the crap back on their floor and let him go empty. They will threat you with cops, if you ignore their request to leave the premises and they will call them (my experience back in 2009 - my delivery in Meijer DC in Newport, MI). So then the broker's customer (original shipper) game starts...they want you to take it back for a substandard rate, the broker will ignore your calls and hope you will soften and take it back for what they ask you. Taking it upon yourself to dump it anywhere else or disposing of it could always be basis for a claim, and perhaps in some cases that's what they're waiting for. I don't know how it plays out with litigation process and how it ends up for those having balls disposing of the load on their own accord and then trying to collect their money form the broker even for the original trip but I imagine it cannot be easy. If you take it back for a substandard rate at least you get rid of the thing quicker but you feel like a sucker, on the other hand waiting for a better rate and charging a layover fee for every day could turn out to be too much time wasting with little effect...especially if the product is spoiled, damaged or foul in any way. I mean who has means and desire to fight JB Hunt or Meijer in some litigation. So let's imagine, or maybe someone has done that already and took a rejected load of canned fruit or toilet paper to a landfill and dumped it there just to get rid of it on their own accord, without any authorization from the broker. So how did it end up? Was there a claim? Was there a lawsuit? Hiring a lawyer ain't cheap either (?) I feel like I want to do that now too because I am currently on a rejected load too and despite the initial promises of a fair rate to take it back, I never received the rate con yet...and it's been almost 2 days already. When I called, they said they were still trying to get me my desired rate which was based on market average rate for that lane but their customer wants me to take it for even less than I originally took it. That's over $1000 difference from my final offer. I am waiting for a solution and the rate update but at least I'm at home and in no rush. Pragmatically speaking, sitting here without capacity to do work for who knows how many more days could be worse than taking the f.... thing for the sucker rate and keep rolling, hoping it won't happen again too soon. That could be pragmatic but is sure a sign of weakness too. We'll see.

The problem is that when the receiver does not like the product they feel free to dump it back on your trailer...you stuck with it even though it was never your fault the product was bad. It is hard to imagine that there were some law prohibiting them for doing this...treating your trailer floor as an extension of their own. If they decide to reject it and put in back, it would be nice they needed to have a carrier's permission. I wish a had a transportation lawyer at hand sometimes asking these questions....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  5. albloomfield

albloomfield Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Update, at about 2 p.m. October 12th finally get a call, I'm told their going to pay me to haul it back to KC. I'm asked what do I think is fair? I say, I was paid $3,000 to haul it out here, I think that's fair. I ask, what am I going to get paid for sitting here for a day and a half. He says he'll see what he can get. Says you can start heading back. I say I'd like to know what I'm getting before I move the truck, he kind of laughs and says OK. Kind of like that's a strange request.

Thinking the only thing in question was the layover pay, I decide to head home, I live 3 hours from KC, head home spend Sunday at my house.

Well, I finally get e-mails, $300 for layover pay, $2,000 to haul it back to KC.

I'm pissed, call J.B. Hunt and the broker has gone home for the weekend. Told the only way to contact broker is through e-mail.

I e-mail him, say hey, I thought we agreed to $3,000. He says market out of Billings doesn't pay that well.

I e-mail him back, I never agreed to $2,000. I had a 900 mile load out of Billings back to Kansas for $2,800. If it wasn't for their mistake I could of picked it up and delivered it first thing Saturday. Your mistake literally has cost me $500 and 2 days of work.

He e-mails me back and says he'll see if he can get a couple hundred more monday.

My last e-mail was, I'm not delivering this for $2,000. I have a right to decide what I haul on my truck and for how much. I never agreed to $2,000. You need to make this right. I feel what I asked for was completely fair.

I'm home, I guess I'll call monday. I can take it off my truck here if I need to. At least I have options. For $2,000, I'll eat it before I deliver for that.

Kind of asking what others think. What I asked for, is that fair? Hauling something back rely on what the market is in Billing? We're not bidding this load, it's on my truck!!!

What are my options? What if I pull it off my truck and not deliver it? What happens then? At this point I don't care about the $2,000, but I really don't want a claim against my insurance either.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. albloomfield

albloomfield Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Lol, I actually read that before I posted. I searched rejected loads and read a few threads before I posted my situation.

Trucking industry blows my mind. What people expect out of truckers. Be at point A at this time, deliver it to point B at this time.

They expect truckers to do whatever it takes to get the loads there on time.

But then behind the scenes in these offices. It's like they don't give a rat's ###. They could care less that this load is stuck on my truck and costing me money. At 5 p.m. every body is heading home, we'll be back monday. Hey, he's out to lunch, he'll be back at 1.

If that's how truckers did their job, it would be utter chaos. Maybe I'm crazy but I expect others work as hard at their job, as I do at mine.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There was actually a time where we delivered in the morning when we got there and loaded out in the afternoon at the latest for next morning delivery. Or 10 days to California. Be there in the morning. Don't call unless you have a problem or are empty.

Those days are gone forever.

I have grown to resent and distrust brokers for many reasons. Primarily with the abuse via lack of communication.

I am one of those people who will not move a inch until I know everything you know about this load, who, what, when, where, why and how. And also everything the Broker knows. (He aint telling me *&^%)

One time FFE Dispatcher in Avenel NJ threw up his hands disgusted with my who, what, where, when, how and why for the 100th time on a drop hook to LA and told me beat it. Im late already.

He must have made arrangements to assign me to another dispatch group and region. It's a shame. All of those loads were perfect to him and from him. What a waste.

NavigatorWife and albloomfield Thank this.
  8. hagarcobra

hagarcobra Medium Load Member

May 24, 2013
    This is why I'm so glad I never have to deal with these ####### warehouses. I have yet to have an equipment dealer reject an excavator or a dozer because they didn't want it. the manufacturer send it to them and they gladly take it off your truck.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The other lesson on this thread is Sysco.

Anything to do with Sysco, before you do it, take a cheese grater, run it across your nuts, and remember that's what it is like having any dealings with Sysco.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree.

There is however...

ONE sysco at Pokomoke City Maryland on the Eastern Shore, off US 13 I think.

Pull in anytime prior to appt, even if you were a day early (There is a very good 24/7 denny's at US 50 and US 13. They will serve you, plop big truck on shoulder right there. Find the patch of woods, get a spot go to bed.

They will call you when it's time to dock, then unload you pronto. Clerk boss takes care of the bills while 6 people toss everything off your truck.

I don't go to Eastern Shore as often as I used to hardly ever and I always miss it there. Quiet, always the same (especially somerset, land of my ancestors... some who are buried in Rock Creek @1830-1850 and in the area since 1635.) I should find a way to travel back there one more time and spend a few days visiting and enjoying that food.

Back to Sysco, we ordered so much stuff out of them of Baltimore to support several businesses at one time or another and for the most part they did a good job but it pains me to remember that at the dock there is so much heartache, waste and pain to go around. It's unnecessary.

Maybe I am too nice for this cursed Trucking. I keep thinking what does not get done today can be done tomorrow. But no break your nuts to get it done now.

albloomfield and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I've had more good dealings with JB than bad, but several weeks ago I took a load that delivered to one of their final mile places. They got me out in under 2 hours, but the guy that is like second in command of the place just flat lied to me. And some woman that runs the place shooed me away like I was some sort of peasant.

I've always stuck up for JB, but this put a new twist on it for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.