Remaining on-duty in a "state of readiness"...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scooter Jones, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    So then, if I check in at the Shipper (on-duty) and they say, "open your trailer doors, back into door 8, chock you wheels. We will come and notify you when we are done and give you your paperwork."

You mean, I'm supposed to falsify my logs by stating I'm on-duty when I no longer even have control of the truck and trailer because they put a gland hand lock on my red line and locked my ODOT bar with a hook?

I don't think so...

I go into sleeper berth status at that point...

When they come and tell me they're done, I go back on-duty, show myself closing doors and checking out.

Ranger Bob and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    You are not. Since Feb 2012 any time spent in a parked CMV can be logged off-duty or in the sleeper.

Ranger Bob, DoneYourWay and scythe08 Thank this.
  4. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
  5. sharp.dressed.man

sharp.dressed.man Heavy Load Member

Dec 10, 2011
    IL
    Keep in mind you can log on duty if you want to. I do log on duty for the ENTIRE time I'm waiting. The only time I don't is when there is something in it for me I.e. I'm on my way home.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    guess you missed my statement where i said i'ts been posted time and again on this sight.

7. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Thank you for pointing that out and I must tell you that the lack of training and the poor understanding of the law on both sides of the isle should leave the FMCA Hanging by their tail for simply being such an irresponsible organization that something should be done about their lack of responsibility to the tax payers of this country
    They issue CDL's Like LOTTO Tickets and they leave the cost of training costs to some greedy company & or the driver .NOT THEM
    I Wonder if Doctors or Lawyers didn't have any collage to attend or there was a 4 week getter done Kind of education that they can go to instead of having to pay a fortune to get a license.
    The Rules above is nothing more than a Loop hole for some of us out here that know what to say when they get confronted by a So called Super Trooper that thinks he or she knows the law and they take pride in making the driver sweat because he/she don't have a clue due to the lack of knowledge He/She Learned In the 4 week Getter done schools.
    EVERY DRIVER MUST HAVE A LETTER FROM THEIR SAFETY OFFICER IN THEIR COMPANY THAT RELIVE THE DRIVER FROM ON DUTY TO OFF DUTY STATUS DURING LUNCH ,WALKING THE DOWG OR WHAT EVER THE HECK THE DRIVER NEEDS THE OFF DUTY TIME FOR
    And you must carry that letter in your permit book or you must have it on you during your face to face with the dummy

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    SC

The copy of 395.2 I used is current to "Regulations current to Apr 12, 2013."

I have seen the Sleeper Berth provision - [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Does not include any time resting in a parked vehicle (also applies to passenger-carrying drivers). In a moving property-carrying CMV, does not include up to 2 hours in passenger seat immediately before or after 8 consecutive hours in sleeper berth.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Does this include time at the shipper/receiver? If so what is the source of your information please?

9. Sublime

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    It helps to read a thread from the first post onward.

Post #2:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...g-on-duty-in-state-readiness.html#post3343960

10. Sublime

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=395.2&guidence=Y

Here's the funny part: It says a person must have written permission to go off-duty BUT "There are no record retention requirements for these instructions on board a vehicle or at a motor carrier's principal place of business."

not4hire and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    O.K. . guys . How about this ?
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/hos/HOS-Regulations-7-1-2013.pdf

Might not be a bad idea to print this out and carry it with you .

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.