Remember to pre-trip your lug nuts

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by seagreg, Sep 8, 2021.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    glad you brought out the 58 in a 75. hit that nail on the head

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Every time you stop? Why? I find that hard to believe.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d like to get the little arrows for lugs. Quick visual shows they haven’t moved. I think they come loose, when properly torqued, after they’ve been stretched by over torquing. Just a thought, if when re torqued and one or two are a bit loose, maybe that’s a sign they’ve been stretched or have stress cracks or both. Drivers don’t notice a loose wheel often, because even loose, it spins in balance. Once they’re a little loose, they snap off. Happens fast. I had a steer come loose, Driving Local. All I had was a pipe wrench. Had to stop and tighten the lugs a few times in 40 miles. I’m lucky I felt it. They were the old style, and with manual steering very noticeable.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Lugs will rust from the inside. Maybe it’s caused by stress cracks? Who knows? What I do know, is for years every Shop, Cranked them on tight, including Me, when I did tire work. Even let compressor build up, and hit them again, to make sure they were tight. Made sure the old Truckers saw Me do it, so they were happy. Don’t remember all these wheels coming off. Occasionally one would snap, usually while taking it off, because they were so tight? Or because they were weak? A visual sometimes shows rust inside the stud. Happened on my first Truck. Mechanic explained and showed Me. Lugs can rust from the inside, maybe a small air pocket started it? Maybe stress cracks? We replaced a couple studs only. Same way we always did it. Really makes Me think though. How does one pre trip Lug nuts? Torque them every day? Try to loosen one by hand? Look at them? Will you see a loose one? I never hear any talk about signs of streaking. That’s about the only visual sign there is. I’ve mentioned it to Techs at Loves and T/A. They’ve never heard of Lug nuts showing signs of streaking, being caused by loosening. I’ve pointed out signs of streaking on my wheels, had them check the torque. They say it’s just from water. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it’s from water, usually black or rusty, seeping out from behind the lug nut, a streak on the rim, from Lug towards the tire. That’s the sign. Looser the Lugs get, or longer they’re ran slightly loose, the longer the streaks on the wheel will be.

Bud A. and jason6541 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I reamed out the service writer at the dealership last time I went in. A 3/4" drive impact should not be required to remove lug nuts from a half ton.

8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Because I am anal about things. It is usually several hundred miles between stops.
    Just like I make it a habit to check tire pressure everyday, and check fluids and such. Yes I spend about 20 to 30 min a day doing my Pre trip. Why because it saves me and my company money. Keeps my CSA score at zero. I run a tight ship so to speak.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Bull excrement! People can use impact wrenches if they know what their doing.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Well no go read fastener manual for stud mfg’s also using a impact and over torquing can lead to cracks in wheels and bent wheels and hubs being warped. just because it is a widely used practice does not make it a correct procedure.
    why do you think all alloy wheels on automobiles are torqued, yes an impact is used to lightly seat the lug nuts but a torque wrench is used to properly tighten the nuts. Wheels warp and studs stretch and hubs also warp.
    Not many clean and oil the studs and nuts and the hub surface and back of wheel from corrosion or dirt before installing either. Not arguing just pointing out.

Rideandrepair and Bud A. Thank this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    And Ram pickup trucks aren’t cheap. Can’t tell from the photo if it’s a dually axle or single setup.
    The 1500 models alone start around $32,700 alone!
    2021 Ram 1500 | Crew Cab Model & More | Ram Trucks

(even 20 years ago brand new they were running for around the $30K range-WTF,lol).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Rideandrepair and jason6541 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.