Removing placards

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jwhis, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    is it kosher to remove placards at a receiver if you get a rinse out paper, or do you have to have a tank wash ticket?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You've got to show it's gas free.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You are considered "loaded" for placard purposes until the tank is washed and certified vapor-free.

The wash rack should pull off the placards.

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Yes. We used to have our own wash out forms we could fill out. Rinsing down the tank with a garden hose after unloading constitutes a wash out.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You must have hauled some benign stuff. I'll be darned if I'm going to stick my head down the manhole to wash try to wash some acid or formaldehyde out of a trailer with a garden hose.
    @Jwhis I don't know what you haul but I'd be real careful here removing placards.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    And then let whatever you were washing out of the tank just run out on the ground?
    What were you hauling? Grape juice?
    For any placarded material the placards stay on until the tank is certified clean by a licensed tank wash. Period.

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Um yeah, hauled Haz-Waste so yeah it was some nasty stuff. Don’t really think you need to stick you head in the tank. What are you 4 foot nothing?

So the Bolded part first. BullSnip! Post the reg or take a hike.

Now the rest.... Never ever just run on the ground. Come on now use some common sense! While your unloading you rinse the tank down.

See now instead being insulting & talking to me like a fool, you could take 30 seconds to ask a question like an adult! I worked the waste world, i understand my experience does not completely translate to the product world. However the Op did not specify waste or product now did he? No. A tank is a tank. At the end of the day, even when hauling product, if your reciever will let you, you can rinse your tank down and it would constitute a clean tank.

All you need for DOT is a letter that states when the tank was washed, where the tank was washed, and a signiture. *Maybe the name of the last contained was required too, i forget if we had to put that down on our forum.

So to answer the Op’s original question, Yes a rinse out equals a wash out. Pull them placards

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    It would be pretty hard to be positive that the inside of the tank, especially high up, is clean front to back without somehow being able to see inside.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The OP wanted to know when he could pull his placards. Placards denote hazardous material. Because of that your "a tank is a tank" statement isn't valid.
    The type of cargo determines the washout procedures. Grape juice or a caustic acid...would you wash the tank the same way? Of course you wouldn't. I hope.
    Self certification might be handy but I also see a lot of problems with it. Most drivers don't have the training in washout procedures and most places where the driver washout occurs wind up adding to the waste stream when the washout is dumped on the ground or down a sewer.

Note to the OP. Leave the placards on 'til the tank is cerified clean.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Right on REO send them tanks out to the certified. We hauled gasoline and we had two choices, one, get the tank certified gas free, or, two fill the tanks with water. I would not recommend the water just for the fact it weighs a lot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.