Renewing CDL Requires Birth Certificate Now?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by STexan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are three steps ahead of me as well.

I did notice a hard stop against PO boxes within the last two years roughly, Such as for internet purchasing for example. (I also noticed a application of sales taxes now online as well.. which really cools that problem)

Axiom of Arkansas now I think in Minnesota after a move, has records on every American living and dead since the founding of the USA going back to where possible. (For example a part of my family line dating to 1863 in court records were burned or looted in Warwick during the Richmond Offensive by Union Forces, anything further back relies on Somerset and Family bible) To opt out of Axiom with one form means to erase your entire life, all of your credit, purchasing, mortgages etc. Poof.

Our view of addresses etc is more defensive. We had documented and captured three attempts so far this year by people in this area lifting credit card data via cashiering at the store. (We pay cash only at the gas stations here) and then attempting to buy tools but failing when their addresses are not complete to exact that our bank requires.

Which is why we rely on a PO box as a defensive measure.

As far as airplanes, I love flying so help me I do. However the commercial side aviation is not attractive at all to me. I do have rail service which will be just as expensive if not more so or personal car to the east coast if need be and can be there in roughly 30 hours give or take a few depending on winter conditions over sand-patch grade. Then rent a car etc.

What is left is literally a RV, in my case a small trailer with it's own sleeper type accommodations on my vehicle. That is probably the last great freedom left before excessive regulations bite into that. I can handle a trailer up to a certain size and weight, don't need that much. This would probably be the one thing that's left in term of freedom to travel at a leisurely pace and without excessive surveillance etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, i had to go online, at my state Dept of Health, records dept. i think it was a $15.00 fee. it is a certified, numbered document, that you will ONLY NEED ONCE...for your CDL//general operators license....renewal........!!!!!

now given it's only used that one time, is BS.....not too many other needs for it, UNLESS you apply for a U.S. passport, then YOU NEED it again......

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Transfer is another thing. I’m talking about a basic renewal. I expect lots of hoops for any transfer.

x1Heavy, SteerTire and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    While not a CDL renewal, To change from a driver's license to an ID card, the state of TEXAS does "NOT" accept a Texas Drivers license as a proof of ID. Found this out last month when i took my aunt , 86 yrs old, to get her's changed. Texas DMV is the only state department to not accept it's own document as proof of ID. Go figure.

x1Heavy and SteerTire Thank this.
  6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    #### :oops:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I switched mine to Texas from Misery in August of last year.

They didn't ask to see mine..but they pretty much need to see my Certificate of Naturalization anyway..which I had with me..she just made a cop of that, and I assume filed/scanned it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    It seems you don’t understand what an ‘enhanced’ drivers license is.

Speaking directly to Vermont’s system, there are three tiers of licensing.

- Driver Privilege Card

One is not required to show proof of legal status in the US to obtain the card.

- Drivers License

REAL ID compliant card. You are required to show proof of legal status in the US with a Passport or Birth Certificate.

- Enhanced Driver’s License

This card has additional features on top of the REAL ID compliant card, and is accepted instead of a passport at border crossings.

Not sure where you got the idea that an EDL isn’t REAL ID compliant, but you couldn’t be more mistaken. The DPC isn’t compliant, but...it’s not intended for those that could get a compliant card anyway.

“Is the Vermont Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) or Enhanced Non-Driver ID (EID) acceptable for Real ID compliance? Yes, the Vermont EDL & EID are designated as acceptable border-crossing documents by DHS under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).” -

Is the Vermont Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Enhanced Non-Driver ID (EID) acceptable for Real ID compliance? | Department of Motor Vehicles

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Dam Texas DL site tells you what's required to do everything except RENEW a CDL. If I had lost it it tells what to do to get a replacement. If I need to apply for a TX CDL from another state CDL it tells me what to to do. If I'm a new CDL applicant it tells me what to do. But their site has zero information about the steps and what is required to RENEW one about to expire.

.... Idiots. Guess I'll have to call somewhere.

10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    But mostly 9/11. 17 of the 19 hijackers had all gotten drivers licenses in various US states with little or no real documentation. And terrorists and others(basic con-men etc) were abusing it also. It has only taken about 20 years to correct the problem.

11. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    UPDATE
    I’m about to transfer mine from a non Real ID state, to one that is fully compliant. Here’s what I’m being told to bring to DMV.

Birth Certificate
    Social Security Card
    2 proof of residence (water, light, etc)
    My current valid license

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.