Reoccurring DEF problem - Freightliner 2013 DD15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Mike A, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    If I would have heard about this 5 years ago I could have saved one of my own and about 10 from another district. We had an issue with super short loads clogging the doc, pushing the DPF’s and coating the SCR. I’ve still got one in the shed that’s supposed to be mounted back on a wrecked truck sitting there with this exact problem. I just couldn’t scrap something that took $12k to replace!!!!

Basicly your saying it needs a bake, blow, and def wash (all at the same time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    How about doser injector? I had that happen before. Replaced injector and block. Clean out the port when the block is off.

4. Mike A

Mike A Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I get 4364 and 3364. When the shop resets it with the laptop. It only comes back on when I’m on the highway doing 105km steady. I’m going to change both nox sensors and see what happens.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    BTW pushed DOC are fixable. I have pushed them back to place with small hydraulic jack. Some dealers do that too now. piece of wood size of DOC must be used so DOC wont be damaged. Only overheated and worn 1 boxes can not be fixed.

Mike A and Working2party Thank this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I think the hot clean exhaust is burning and cleaning the soot very slowly.

Working2party Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    doser injector and block has noting to do with SCR .

roshea Thanks this.
  8. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    So I wonder..... if I could pull up a spare truck divert the exhaust into the inlet of the one-box, set up a little 12v fuel pump to inject DEF through the injector. Into the SCR, and run a couple high temp regens through it. I wonder if I could get it to clean out.

There would still be no way to check if it’s “fixed” without bolting it up thou.... could be a lot of work for no return...

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have no idea will it work or not. Without installing and running under load no way to be sure its fixed. Yeah could be a lot of work for no return. I have heard there is a chemical for washing SCR part. Before Detroit was using it but later they stopped using it. Can't remember the name of that liquid.

roshea and Working2party Thank this.
  10. Lukastt

Lukastt Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2019
    My 2 cents. The 1 box often gets fouled by a coolant or oil leak into the exhaust. Injector o cups rings not seated properly are one example. Over time this will damage your piston rings and cylinder sleeves. A heavy load, or long hill climb, or fast speed during a active driving regen cycle will set conversion fault due to excessive piston blow by and fouled catalyst. A parked regen will pass due to less blow by. New nox sensor's are a waste of $$. Cleared codes after a good parked regen will only keep the fault codes out until your truck calls for another regen and you don't meet the 70% conversion.

11. Ericc3303

Ericc3303 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2019
    2014 cascadia with dd15 have three codes I cant get cleared. Passed scr efficiency test. However during regen the nox outlet hits 220 ppm I replaced the sensor to have the same issue. Passed def quality test as well. What's next?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.