Repairing Paccar ECM

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rosnorter, May 20, 2022.

1. rosnorter

rosnorter Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Hello, we've got a 2016 MX-13 EPA13, with a bad ECM. Dealer has tried reflashing it several times, cannot get it to take the update. No physical damage. They say we should replace, but you know how that is these days. No idea on ETA for a new one. Has anyone tried to get these repaired? We have done with our older Cummins and a Detroit one, but not seeing many options for Paccar.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Repairs can and do work.....HOWEVER, the quality of the repair and if it even can be repaired will depend heavily on the guy doing the work. What tools he has and what exactly is wrong. If a chip popped off and needs to be soldered back on then most shops can do that. If the PCB is burned due to a short then your SOL. Also keep in mind a poor soldering job could destroy the ECM entirely or only buy you a few days or even cause engine damage when the computer gets confused.

A much better option is just get a used or rebuilt one with a warranty. Vander haags has several in stock right now. While its not as good as new obviously they typically come with a warranty and your going to get a better quality then a questionable repair.

Paccar MX13 ECM | Engine Control Modules for sale

spindrift, baha and rosnorter Thank this.
  4. rosnorter

rosnorter Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Ya I hear you. We've been going down a few rabbit holes trying to find something. Probably called 50 places since yesterday. Vander haags has sold all the ones they have on their site, only keeping them on in case they get one in they can quickly send off to a customer. Said they've quit taking names for their waiting list 6 months ago. KW has no ETA at all, but price is good, cheaper than the current used market. All the truck wreckers are cleaned right out. This is a real mess to be in at the beginning of the construction season. And obviously KW is putting everything they have into new trucks, discard their old customers without too much regard. :mad:

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    You got a part number? I know a few guys i can call that may have one. Also got a friend in chile who may be willing to ship one stateside

rosnorter Thanks this.
  6. rosnorter

rosnorter Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2020
    P/N 1877245 superseded up to 2109555, we did finally find a used one that is supposed to be tested working, for $2500 USD. So we are going that route for right now I guess. Almost the price of the new one from KW that isn't available, though.

Seems like a lot of unknowns buying a used ECM, considering how good ours looked. Was in a T880, 6000 hours only 90000 Kilometers. So hadn't had a lot of bouncing around. But I guess it's made by men, will break.

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I have contact info for a repairer in the UK.
    Turn around is not fast due to shipping and hold ups in customs from the US.

PM if interested.

Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  8. Chewey9

Chewey9 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2022
    Looking for a ECM Paccar MX13 part num 1833060 I know it has about 10 supercedes but thats the num on mine.

9. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    You won’t get a new one. I have trucks down waiting and haven’t seen a new one since before Covid. Best bet is to look for used. Even then they will be gold.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  10. Chewey9

Chewey9 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2022
    That's what I've come to realize. You haven't tried any of the rebuild places?

11. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Last one I got back was around 1500 all together with shipping. Took around 2 months there and back. Have another there now.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.