Replace brake lines?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Sep 20, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A truck parts store will have the hoses already made up, you do not want to use hydraulic hose or any stratoflex going to the brake cans themselves. they have to be flexible and rubber is what they call for. You can buy the ends and the hose (air brake) not hydraulic) and build them yourself, but the cost is twice what the ready made hoses are. I do have some of the built ones, but it is because I run remote a lot and the ends are reusable, so I can just keep some hose and a few ferrules in the truck and replace one at any time anywhere, other trucks I just carried a couple of the ready made ones in different lengths.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The trailer dealer and Freightliner dealer both have premade hoses in stock.
    Cheaper than having local parts store make them.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Whatever you do, make sure all your brass, rubber and Nylon is stamped DOT. Make sure your hose shop knows your doing air brake cuz they will sell you the highest price stationary hose they can which doesnt do squat once your POPO sees it's not DOT and your shutdown. And the brake chamber hoses are the first ones they look at.

I stick with the rubber and nylon ABH and solid brass crimp fittings. All available in 1/2 and 3/8 for both ends. Cut to length, cheap and durable.

Dino soar and Working2party Thank this.
  5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Going by Parker numbers, 271 series is the rubber with fabric reinforcement, 213 is "stratoflex" and uses AI fittings, and 201 series is similar to to 213 but larger OD so uses AII fittings. All available with crimp-on or field serviceable fittings. Eaton Weatherhead has all the same and is available thru most Napa stores.

6. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Art Vandelay and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not know of any newer truck that has any stratoflex air line on them, again it is not to be used to go to the brake cans, it was used where it didn't flex and has been replaced with much better plastic air line.

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Still "stratoflex" from air compressor discharge "cooling" piping or teflon hose to air dryer. You can still order a KW with all "wire braid" vs nylon tubing.

Art Vandelay Thanks this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The only stratoflex I see on an air comp is on the suction or and or water side, not the pressure side, unless someone has replaced it wit hydraulic hose, which I have seen when the proper stainless wrapped teflon was not readily available, done it myself once.
    I can not think of any reason anyone would order a truck with obsolete stratoflex air lines, but maybe so.

10. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    After the teflon hose is usually wire braid fabric hose from compressor discharge to dryer. Most fuel lines also until they started going nylon in last three years.

Art Vandelay Thanks this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    A lot of great information.

I would have thought getting lines from Freightliner or lines that are pre-made would have been more expensive than having a hydraulic shop make them up.

I did have four lines made I'm going to have to check them. They have to actually say DOT on them?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.