Replace neway air beam with new suspension

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by H2oburymatt, Jun 1, 2017.

1. H2oburymatt

H2oburymatt Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Ok, so folks
    I've had a pretty substantial hop iny suspension ever since I purchased my truck in 2015. I've replaced everything short of the suspension itself. There are 2 types of the air beam suspension neway put out in 1991. I have a heavy spec Western star 1991 that I absolutely love. The trucks in the shop now and they can't find anything wrong with my suspension. It's been re bushed before I bought it and everything is tight. I started my research on it a few days ago and all the experts I've talked to say it should have been called the NO WAY not Neway air beam lol. It's to the point now where I either have to find someone who is well versed in this type or replace it with a new suspension all together. Any and all advice is much appreciated. I am open to recommendations for guys who know this suspension well and can maybe take a look at it and I'm seriously considering a new suspension. If I go that route does anyone know what type or kind would be best for a 1991 Western star heritage conventional 4964? Pic of my truck is in my profile..the truck only has 225k on fresh rebuild and it's super clean and tight other than my hopping issue. Also anyone know a guy who has worked on these and a master in old Neway setups? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Do you have the long sweeping arms that run under the rear end axles? If so ,mine did the same thing when I first got mine. If you still have the dual leveling valves convert to a single valve. My hop completely disapeared.

Oxbow and H2oburymatt Thank this.
  4. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    I have this type. And it's the type of this type that has both bushings in the center.

Attached Files:

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Oh that's the new style. I don't know what to tell you on that setup.

Oxbow and H2oburymatt Thank this.
  6. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    Each axle has its own beam and each beam has 3 bushings one on one end and 2 on the other. All the bushings ate centered It's an old style they no longer make. You can still purchase parts but it was discontinued.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    And I only have one leveling valve now.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    I will take pics and post to see if someone maybe knows if something looks off.

Oxbow and Mudguppy Thank this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You are wasting your money. Sustained hops are caused by out of round or out of balance tires or wheel, period!

H2oburymatt Thanks this.
  10. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    Have replaced every tire and wheel.the run out is well.under spec.

11. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    It only happens at 40mph, 50mph and 60mph

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.