Replace neway air beam with new suspension

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by H2oburymatt, Jun 1, 2017.

1. H2oburymatt

H2oburymatt Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Yes ujoints are all tight and they and yokes are all new. I did just replace the rear drive axle bearings and races and plan to do the forward drive axle on both sides this week. I'm crossing my fingers that one of the shafts is not balanced. Could something like a bearing inside one of my rears cause this hop?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    No vibration in the shifter either. It's so frustrating chasing shakes and hops.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What about the carrier bearing?

Are the driveline angles good? Not just up and down but side to side as well?

5. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    Mechanic said the angles were good and we checked the carrier bearing when we removed the shafts but I'll double check the angles with him on Monday to learn exactly what my angles are and see what he says. He did say that when we get the shafts back we're going to leave the small shaft in between the rears out, lock in the differential and take it for a test drive to rule out whatever won't be working with that small shaft out. Does that make sense I'm pretty sure that's how he explained it to me

6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    There was a posting on here a while ago about a hop/shake and eventially the guy said it was in the power divider l think. It was internal in any event. These kind of issues can put you in the poor house. Or drive you around the bend! Pete's can get similar issue's with air-trac rear suspension.

Oxbow and H2oburymatt Thank this.
  7. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    Oh geese the truck I just bought is a 92 Pete with air track lol

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    You must have a thing for rough riding trucks! Lol btw it sounds better if you say it has a controlled firm ride! As opposed to "it feeling like dragging your ___ down the road on a tin shovel!" good luck with the Pete.

H2oburymatt Thanks this.
  9. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    Well when I find a good deal I snag it. The Pete only has 120k or so on in frame from peterbilt and bought it for 20k. Star had 140 on motor from cat dealer and paid 25 for that but it's super clean. They're both clean trucks. I'll post some pics and do my best to add any results. Pete rides smooth now. It needed wear pads on all drive axles and a new spring hanger. New torque arm and bushings on both. New Trac arm bushings. Once we did that stuff the slight hop it had went away.

10. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    My money is on driveshafts out of balance. A come and go come and go shake with a very sharp kick into the floor/dash/seat etc is usually driveline. When a wheel is out of round youve got some suspension trying to dampen it. But the driveshaft is direct to the chassis with only that little rubber ring in the carrier bearing. If you check the carrier bearing the rubber will be pretty squishy from trying to contain the shaft.

Its time consumingg but you can kinda verify the driveline is a culprit by hoseclamping a wheel weight or piece of metal to the shaft and clocking it to various positions then rechecking. Works best at night when you can see the headlight shimmy. Moving the weight around will change it from an up and down to a side to side wiggle on the chassis.. Some positions will amplify the shake, some will reduce it.

If the trans was changed theres a good chance someone ground the old yoke, shortened the shaft, tapped it back in and rewelded but never got around to sending the shafts for a balance.

Bad shafts will typically leave some wear in the yoke cross bearing surface too. A shiny spot in one corner for no reason for example.

H2oburymatt Thanks this.
  11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Thread is 4 months old now. Be nice if we got an update to what is going on.

snowman_w900 and H2oburymatt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.