Replace two time alternator both brand new but voltage read 12.2.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Danny50, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Danny50

Danny50 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2022
    Texas
    Cable number 2 is the one run with the 20amp fuse of the photo of the fuse box I send you?
    If that case mechanic put that cable in the wrong place.

you told me this:
    It appears the is the power train power distribution module PT-PDM. The fuse you circled looks to be Fuse 7 which is "LVD/Remote sense".
    Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD) and Remote sense circuit for your alternator. As I understand with everything hooked up, that fuse should show battery voltage when you check it with a multi-meter. If that is reading nothing it would seem like that is a break or open in the wire between that PDM fuse 7 and and the batteries.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Danny50

Danny50 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2022
    Texas
    Cables 1 through 5 came out from negative section of the starter.

4. SWM_TECH

SWM_TECH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Remote sense needs to go to positive. You used the continuity setting on your digital multi-meter to trace wire? In theory if that is the remote sense wire if you disconnected wire at alternator you should be able to verify each end of wire from down by starter to alternator if the fuse is good. Continuity_setting.JPG

Siinman Thanks this.
  5. Danny50

Danny50 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2022
    Texas
    Thanks for the info.
    Problem was fix thanks to you…Mechanic of my company put cable 5 in the wrong place on the starter he pu it in a negative section. What a pain in the ###!!!
    I will never take my truck to a Freightliner neither…they never found what was the problem.
    Thanks for your help
    You are the best.

Siinman, SWM_TECH and uncleal13 Thank this.
  6. SWM_TECH

SWM_TECH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Danny50 thank you for following up and letting us know what the root problem was.
    Also, thank you for posting the last six of your VIN so we can sift through the service information and try to get it more focused and accurate.
    I hear your frustration about the Freightliner not finding your problem. I just want you to know that I earn my living and am able to provide for my family working at the Freightliner dealer striving to solve problems most efficiently and timely for our Freigthliner truck owners so that get back to work. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from your problem and be part of getting you back on the road.

QUALITYTRUCK and Siinman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.