Replacing my truck batteries, how important are CCA numbers?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by gekko1323, Mar 26, 2023.

1. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    What's the biggest town up there, Cripple Creek?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MAMservices

MAMservices Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    I know I’m going to get jumped on and flamed like crazy but here goes. Just for the sake of providing correct information and safety, it is correct and safer to disconnect the ground cables from batteries first, and when reinstalling the grounds should be connected last. And definitely a solar battery minder. Flame on.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    gentleroger, Hammer166 and gekko1323 Thank this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

No flaming, just curious, why ground not positive? Realistically, positive and negative are fairly arbitrary distinctions when speaking about dc systems, and while many things are polarity specific, it hardly makes a difference which is still connected.

(Also, while you may be correct, on my truck specifically due to how batteries are installed, positives MUST be disconnected first, cant really get to the negatives before the positive, if i reversed the batteries, there would be quite a bit of arcing potential removing any positives before all grounds were out, but if i did that, the potential for any wire coming loose and burning my truck to the ground would also be significantly higher)

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I guess there are two schools of thought. When connecting, I ground them first, and then add the power. When disconnecting, I remove the power source first, and then the ground. This seems more logical.

6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Woodland Park. Although most people live out of city limits up here. Most everything that's not National Forest or a ranch now has a house on it.

Rideandrepair and gekko1323 Thank this.
  7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The idea on removing the ground first is that if you bump something grounded with a tool while removing a positive, you'll get one hell of an arc unless the battery ground is already removed.

8. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Okay, so the verdict is in. I charged all 4 batteries and they all held their charge overnight. They ranged from 12.1V to 12.35V. BUT, when I load tested them with my Centech load tester from Harbor Freight, only one of them was able to hold amps. Two of the others were slightly below range and the last one dropped quicker than Paris Hilton's panties on prom night! The Freightliner here has them for $80 each with 950 CCA. So I guess it's all for the best. One less thing on my list of "things to do" on the truck. Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    gentleroger, Oxbow, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    Be careful after killing the batteries like that. I had 1 go to ground on me and got real pissed off. Got super hot, puked all the water, and pissed my alternator and drained the other 3 batteries. This happened shortly after I deeply discharged them leaving lights on all weekend ‍♂️

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You pucker up quick when the wrench contacts the fuel tank. My 9/16" ratchet wrench was never the same after that doozie. Always ground off first, on last.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Add a wedding ring touching the wrench that gets arced.

TexasRiverRat and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.