Researching Driver Drowsiness Technology for Trucking Industry

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by universitystudent12, Feb 14, 2018.

1. universitystudent12

universitystudent12 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Hello truckers of truckersreport. I am an engineering student involved in a business/engineering course requiring us to research market interest and requirements for a technology. One of the topics for research was driver drowsiness technology for automobiles, and I thought to myself what kind of consumers would need this the most, which is why I am here.

Given it would be hard for me to contact fleets and individual truck drivers personally, I wanted to ask you guys of your opinion and interest of this technology. Here is some background information on this technology. NHTSA has reported that 83000 crashes per year can be related to driver drowsiness and 2.6% of fatalities due to automobiles are caused by driver drowsiness. These facts of drowsiness related accidents is what interested me in choosing this topic for research.

Driver drowsiness technology can mitigate these accidents by actively warning the driver when they are falling asleep or how sleepy they are according to a score of drowsiness.

I know some of these technologies are available as aftermarket solutions, but I don't know if you guys commonly use them. I know they have been available in passenger vehicles for a while now. If some of you guys use it, I would like to know what you like about that technology, what you want to change about that technology, and your interest in it. For those that do not currently use them, would you be interested in it, what features are you looking for in such a technology, and any other opinions you may have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I would greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me as this helps me tremendously in my market research.

Sources: Drowsy Driving

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Great idea. More cattle prods for the stupid drivers.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Heck if only 3% of fatal accidents they figure are caused by drowsiness they need to quit worrying about it

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    What my esteemed colleague has correctly assessed, is todays truck driver is inundated with a plethora of half engineered devices that not only do not work as intended, but often times make truck driving more dangerous and less productive.

The issue with "driver drowsiness" has to do entirely with problems of management in the front office. No mater the engineering, no gizmo you put on a truck will solve the problem. Instead it will provide a false assurance to the desk jockeys that a driver can work at their command without regard to public safety.

Will it such a device be affective? No, most likely not.

Will truck drivers like it or use it? No, it will be another in a long line of devices the will be a safety nuisance.

So, can you sell a product intended to alleviate the threat of 'driver drowsiness?' Most defiantly you can. But, you will be better designing a wi-fi or cellular operated cattle-prod for trucking companies and dispatchers to use on their drivers. That is what they really want.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Thing is, the technology [I assume] is a camera tied to facial recognition and head/eye position awareness software and alerts when a problem is detected. However, textin, browsing, etc will also trigger alarms. So, the "safety device" will soon be disabled

universitystudent12 Thanks this.
  7. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    How bout pay the drivers more and not make them run 14 hours a day to exhaustion in order to survive?

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You and everyone else knows no matter HOW MUCH is paid, there's always those who want more and will push and exceed whatever limits that may be imposed in search of the almighty dollar.

It's human nature, especially in the USA. And I also contend that for many, the higher the pay rate, the more hours they will direct to the job.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    universitystudent12 and Gunner75 Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    How bout if want to work 18 hours a day mind your own dam business I get more sleep when I'm on the road than I do at home. That's what most of us have a problem with, we're hundreds of miles from home there isn't much to do and for some reason people who've never pulled a trailer with their lawnmower think they know more about it than we do

10. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but #### lol. Maybe you’re just cranky from being tired ;) If you wanna run 18 a day feel free just dont kill anybody.

11. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Strange how nobody worries about police officers driving around for 12 hours a day or more

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.