Researching Driver Drowsiness Technology for Trucking Industry

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by universitystudent12, Feb 14, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's all well and good and I and most will agree with that statement. However the FMCSA has created a set of rules that works strongly against this concept, especially related to the 60/70 hour limits which forces those drivers to shut down when they should be working, and often forces them to work when they should be sleeping (waiting on midnight recap hours). Plus, freight movement is a 24/7 industry.

The 60/7 and 70/8 rules (limits) are the most dangerous rules ever imposed on an industry IMO.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    universitystudent12 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If the driver has learned to recognize the need for sleep by now how do you think you're going to teach them? Personally, flawed assumption. They know. The real issue is why they ignore it. First and foremost is consequences. What happens if they ignore it is uncertain, what happens if heed it is certain.

universitystudent12 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Two things, 1- learn what a law is, what a regulation is and how the fmcsa (or any regulatory agency) works.

2- it is a misconception that the present the hours of service have helped reduce driver fatigue, you need to understand how HOS works, the history of it and why the present set of regulations are actually detrimental to the safety of the public in the long run. Hos was never intended for safety of the driver and public, it was and should always be to limit the abuse of the driver by his company.

I have a pet peeve about students coming here and asking, they need to identify themselves as a student with the project name and a school. If they want to actually make an impact and add some thought to our discussions, hiding behind a moniker doesn't always work.

Another thing that is overlooked is environment within the cab, I won't give the op any ideas because I have been discussion an issue about in cab problems with one of the people I know at u of m. I bring it up only to say technology is part of the real problem, not a real solution.

universitystudent12 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll go along with that. With certain thoughts I reserve to myself.

I just need to question where is this danger we speak of? Being fired for actually stopping to get a nice rest? Or being fired when you are 10 miles from customer out of hours. (And customer probably has a thousand yard jockies able to run out and get your trailer... but they wont...) Or being fired for being in violation and editing ELD too many times.

These HOS has truly become what I need to consider as a Domiciles Sword hanging over me. The term comes from Greek Stories. It's beyond the scope of the post to explain the situation. Essentally you are ###### if you do and ###### if you don't with no real authority to say I AM THE CAPITIAN I SAY STOP...

DIspatcher will come back at cha and say I AM SIMON< I SAY GO.

6. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    If only there was a device that would beep and scream at me when I am less than 2.0 seconds from another vehicle that is not a danger or when I get blown over the white line on my right when the wind blows 30 mph..
    Wouldn’t that just be lovely?

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Got facts and stats and he's got it al figured out: the accidents have to be the truck drivers' fault. Let's create new cattle prods!

If you reaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyy are interested in making the roads safer, stop trying to stupidproof cars and trucks with technology and raise the bar in the testing for driving privileges for cars. Doing anything thing else is vanity.

8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Yep four wheeler driver hits a truck and is stumbling drunk, higher than a kite first thing they want is to see your logbook and a drug test from the trucker

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    When I got rear ended by a drunk four wheeler the only thing they asked if me besides a statement was for my license, registration, and insurance, for the report, and if I was hauling hazmat that could be leaking.

x1Heavy and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Nope. And no inspection form either. My company sent me for drug and alcohol testing as it was unclear yet if anyone was going to die.

CHP showed no interest in hanging me for an accident that wasn't my fault.

x1Heavy, Lepton1 and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.