Residence

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Goddragon555, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Goddragon555

Goddragon555 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2018
    North Dakota
    Hey guys Iowa native here working in North Dakota. I'll have been with my company a year in September. Anyway I've been pulled over twice in the town I live in up here and both times have been harrassed about establishing residency in north Dakota. My company pays for my house. The only thing in my name is the wifi. I was going to establish residency due to Iowa having much higher income taxes then north Dakota but when I filed my 2017 taxes Iowa didn't tax my out of state income. (Which was about 20k if I remember right.) So would you establish residency if you were me? I'm not opposed to it but I'd rather not deal with it since I'm lazy lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I would place my residency wherever my accountant says.

Where do you vote?

4. Goddragon555

Mar 4, 2018
    North Dakota
    Iowa. The tax service that did my taxes said Iowa isn't taxing my out of state income so I don't much point in switching.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Is ND taxing your income? Eventually 1 or both States will catch up with you, if no taxes are taken out.

6. Goddragon555

Mar 4, 2018
    North Dakota
    North Dakota is taxing my income yes

7. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Did you report the income to them?

Your company is reporting your income to the state you have listed as your residence.

You may only vote where you have an established residence.

When you live in one state but earn in another, you file the out of state taxes on your state of residence... the place where you vote.

For example, Michigan requires that its residents pay taxes on the income for the months they physically lived in Michigan.

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'm not an attorney or an accountant, but from my understanding it is a violation of federal law for a state in which you have not established residency to tax your income.

U.S.C. Title 49 - TRANSPORTATION

9. heartlessangel7

heartlessangel7 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Next time, tell them you are an interstate driver and you drive in between MT & ND. Just like an OTR driver. That should do the trick.

You may have to either register your car in ND or get special temp registration @ ND for personal ride.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.