Residential deliveries and tips

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by nebulabass, Feb 6, 2019.

1. nebulabass

nebulabass Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2018
    I do a lot of residential deliveries with a liftgate pup trailer. I have noticed that only about 1 in 20 customers pay me a tip. I don't understand this. Sometimes I have to drag over length pallets and all kinds of crazy freight and still no tip even though the customer is obviously wealthy.
    I recently had a 70 inch TV delivered to my house by 2 guys and I gave them each a tip.
    Why do you think these people find it unnecessary to tip guys delivering heavy freight to their homes?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    why do YOU find it necessary to be tipped, when you DO GET PAID, to do your JOB..???

i just had a brand new recliner delivered to my house, from the furniture store. they had to go up 2 flights of stairs.

when done, i said, "thanks guys, have a safe night".....

why should I TIP someone that gets a paycheck.>??

do you think it's REQUIRED to tip YOU..??

perhaps a job as a waiter in a fine restaurant is what you need to be doing..??? if you ARE LOOKING AND DEMANDING TIPS..???

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I used to do home deliveries and never expected a tip. Every once in a while somebody gave me a tip and I was grateful.

homeskillet, Texas_hwy_287 and JReding Thank this.
  5. nebulabass

Apr 30, 2018
    Pizza delivery people get tips for delivering 5 pound boxes of pizza and they get paid to do their job.

Russian Rabbit Thanks this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    As an owner of a few different businesses and an owner operator I rarely get tips.
    With that being said if a any working man does something for me I show my appreciation and they get a tip every time.
    Also along with a pay check all my employees get regular bonuses including a sizable one at Christmas.
    Just because someone gets a pay check doesn’t mean you shouldn’t show your appreciation for their hard work that they do.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Maybe Walmart should tip us for making the delivery on time when we deliver to a Walmart DC. ;)o_O

Texas_hwy_287 and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  8. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Truck drivers don’t get tips because it has never been the norm. In fact, depending where you’re working, I wouldn’t be surprised if your company doesn’t have a no-tip policy, most LTL companies do. And possibly even a policy about not entering a residence, as many do.

And besides, most jobs that have tipping as a standard practice also pay the minimum wage. Are you at minimum wage?

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. nebulabass

Apr 30, 2018
    I understand not getting tipped for delivering to a business. I think residential should get tipped.

10. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Why?

11. nebulabass

Apr 30, 2018
    The same reason the pizza delivery gets a tip.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.