Residential deliveries and tips

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by nebulabass, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Even though It’s Not required it’s human decency.
    Kind of like parking in the fuel isle and taking a shower.
    Not necessarily required but human decency dictates you go park.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    You must of misread where I said that if anyone does anything for me I tip them?
    I wasn’t talking about just my employees.
    I appreciate anyone for doing a great job no just my employees.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  4. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    That’s what “Thank you” is for...

5. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I’m sorry, but I gotta step back in. My patience has worn thin today, and this thread is the icing on the bitter cake.

Grumppy said he’s not here to beat you down. I’m going to.

Based on the whining continuing, and not understanding what the majority of us do, I’m going to assume you’re a millennial, and you simply expect more is owed to you than reality dictates.

By the way, before I forget, classicst has it correct. Putting freight in a garage is not an inside delivery. Do you charge inside delivery to a business that is a ground drop if you bring it inside their roll-up door? I doubt it.

Based on my previous questions, I’m going to assume you don’t take anything other than minimal effort at doing your job, and complain when you have to go even a step beyond that.

Driving for a living requires work, especially if you’re doing LTL and/or home delivery. It’s your job. If you can’t hack it without feeling you’re being cheated by not getting tipped, move on. There’s plenty of other jobs to be had where you don’t have to deal with the general public, who may not understand what we have to endure every day, but that’s no fault of their own.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The hell it isn’t.

If the freight can’t get rained on, it’s inside.

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I will depending on the circumstances.

If you’re a prick, and/or I have to fight to move the pallet, you’re paying extra.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    After careful thought I toss my hat into this ring.

No one in school or on the road said that I will some day be backing a 18 wheeler 53 footer into someones driveway off a two lane road with soft shoulders waiting to trap the thing, or trying to back down a cul de sac aiming for a car port blindside at 3 am in the morning waking everyone up.

It was a good thing everyone was awake, the kids come out by the dozen to get the oranges they collectively bought for raising funds off that trailer in a timely manner. Which was what we were hauling for that run to 4 seperate but coordinated places working to sell them at a profit and raise funds for a variety of purposes. Two were houses, one was a school (30 instant lumpers with a briefing on how to get into a trailer without breaking a leg) and one was a church. (Easy enough...)

Stories are built on interesting problems such as those kinds of loads. I also learned you can set off car alarms on thin enough pavement which really isnt made to hold 40 ton. But you can nurse it along and not bend it too much.

However. I decided that I am not going to take any shots at what I consider to be a apparent lack of work ethic to roll up the sleeves and dive into that LTL work and some such. As far as I am concerned it is very good work, hard work and if you are fit enough to do it right then don't complain. That's all I say.

Texas_hwy_287 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Pricks always got accessorial love.

10. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That was more than likely a furniture delivery service, where most of us work for a freight line.

Big difference.

Texas_hwy_287 and McUzi Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    As I’m sure you’re aware, tipping is never mandatory.

One thing that it did’t take me too long to figure out though is this. A good barometer as to whether or not you’ll get one is what you see parked in the driveway. High end cars with Obama or Hillary bumper stickers usually means you not only won’t get squat, but they may even demand you take it in the house. A pickup truck with NRA stickers on it usually means they’ll not only help you get it off the truck if they can, but then say “just drop it anywhere it’ll fit”.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.