Restarting Reefer after running it out of fuel

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by methane, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Hope ur kidding--bad idea

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    I was being facetious>bad #### that ether!

4. saddleup

saddleup Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2011
    magnolia, ky
    best bet go to lowes get a pvc screw on cap drill hole for tire valve air up hit start button, will work every time

Homemade1959 Thanks this.
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Best bet is to fill it every time you get a chance to.

6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    what I figured--but gotta watch it op a newbie--mite take ya serious:D

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Look inside the right reefer door there is a nice big paint by number diagram. Unscrew this >, pump this >, don't do it again!! :)

It probably threw an alarm and you have to clear the code too.

8. methane

methane Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2012
    LESSON LEARNED!!! Whew! After searching every #### part of this engine for that bleed screw and not finding it or (anything that resembled what you and "52" said to look for) i gave up, cursed, stamped my feet and generally threw a hissy fit! Lol! Then I went into the truckstop, got a soda, gathered my thoughts and attacked again...

I have a real aversion to spending money on something until I have exhausted EVERY thing i could try first.
    So, thinking about the "pressurize the tank" suggestion, I took my air hose which has a glad hand on one end and a air chuck on the other. I removed the air chuck, connected the glad hand to my emergency air glad hand and charged the system (holding most of the pressure by pressing my thumb over the open end of the hose). I then pressed the open end of the hose over the brass pressure relief valve on top of the reefer fuel tank, held it there listening to the air go into the fuel tank. I only held it there for about 1/2 second. Then tried to start the reefer again... No deal, but it did sputter once. So, I then held the air hose on the pressure relief valve again, this time until I could hear the pressure begin to build just slightly (about 3-5 seconds). Turned the reefer on again, it tried to start, sputtering again, but no full start. Looking at the primer pumped with the feed and return lines going into it, I thought "The fuel is still not flowing because air is still in the line. How do I let the air out?"

I loosened the return fuel line and the pressure from the tank pushed the air and fuel up through the feed line which purged the air! Turned the unit on and BINGO, the engine cranked, sputtered twice and roared to life!! Wahoo!

Thanks guys for getting my brain smokin and figuring a way to get the unit running without spending a penny on it.

9. methane

methane Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Yeah, alarms telling me the engine stopped... no kidding? LOL
    My reefer is an '05, the instructions and alarm code list are both long gone. Got it working now, Thanks

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  10. methane

methane Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2012
    AMEN!! Wont happen again, I assure you.

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have loosen the lines at the head too. Just as long as you give it a place for the air to escape because the injectors are closed and won't let the air out.

Glad you got it running. You'll be fueling at a half tank now! :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.