RGN 53' Lift axle vrs 48' Flip axle

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Don Muirhead, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Don Muirhead

Don Muirhead Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    hello everyone,

i would like some input on the pluses and minus's of running a two axle 48' lowboy with a flip axle to make it a 53' three axle rig, vrs a 53' three axle rig with a lift axle. both have 27' in the well. if the answer is all about running a 48' trailer in California empty, how often do you run in Ca without a permit? what am i missing? other states? any and all advice is much appreciated. I have a deposit down for an XL and need to decide before the build date comes up.

thanks

don

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Tennessee,Florida, Illinois,Indiana, South Carolina,Pennsylvania,New York plus many more you can't meet the kingpin law.
    Do they all enforce their laws, no, but.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    i assume you are referring to a 53' trailer?

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Yes, you can't meet the KP law in any state that has one with a 53, you also can't make most king pin laws with a 48' DD, but you are exempt.
    Depends on where you run if the hassle of a 53 fixed is worth it,
    My trailer is 53 on 2 axles and I carry a few annuals and I will permit it out of New England , otherwise just take a chance when empty.

baha Thanks this.
  6. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Always thought kingpin laws were for trailers that are longer than 48'.

7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    The way TN law reads, anything over 50’ from the kingpin to the rearmost axle needs a permit.

We’ve got a RGN that measures 51’ 6”. Never got a permit and never been questioned about it, your mileage may vary.

8. heavyhaulershotcaller

heavyhaulershotcaller Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2017
    South Central U.S.
    I would go ahead and get a tandem with a 3rd flip axle for resale, although you are mentioning a 27' well which would hurt resale if it is a smaller capacity mechanical detach double drop. That deck length would hurt you worse on resale then a fixed tridem. I like the fact that if you don't need the 3rd axle it can shed some empty weight. Also because of the "pitch" or "drop" the engineers will put in the wheel area a fixed tridem will have a slightly taller deck height then a tandem when empty. Also if you are height conscience and you have a light load where you don't need a 3rd axle then with a tridem you will not be able to run with the 3rd axle lifted because you are trying to drop the suspension height to get the deck height down. Also if you don't need the 3rd axle then with a fixed tridem you will be over 75' and even possibly over 80' with a long w.b. truck. There are a few states like mentioned in previous posts where it may get ya from time to time.

9. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    very informative. much appreciated. i wish you all the best.

don

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Idaho has some goat trail highways that trailers over 48' aren't allowed. Also need a permit for over 48' when off the national network. Some roads you can permit for over 48' but some you can't. They have some tricky witchcraft colored maps and math calculations that I figured out once, and realized I was nowhere close to meeting their requirement for the permit, Offtrack I think?

Myself I'm lazy, I much prefer to turn a switch and have my axle come up than have to deal with the fuss of flipping it. I've got a 50' 3 axle.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.