RGN average rates per mile?Advice to stay away from cheap freight!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by GeorgeB, Aug 15, 2018.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Denver CO
    Hi guys,

Going in to heavy hauling, just want to see if anyone can share a little insight on the average rates you do and the rates I should keep up to not haul cheap? I do understand its all depends on the job and time it takes, but still you all professionals should knows your average rates per mile and per day for low mile runs? Wont be hauling anything over 90K payload and 15' wide
    Please advice?
    Truck set up is 4axle tractor with 3 axle rgn 55t

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    It's going to be hard to get 90k axled out on a seven axle. Unless you're in ga, fl, or Alabama. And just a few other states

4. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    You'll also find we don't much like to discuss rates. It always leads to a pissing contest

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. GeorgeB

Feb 20, 2012
    Denver CO
    What’s the max 80k ?

6. GeorgeB

Feb 20, 2012
    Denver CO
    I figured , but my sources are limited... don’t have anyone doing heavy haul... just trying not to fail at this

PeteM Thanks this.
  7. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    It will depend a lot on the machine i.e. How it's balanced and well lenght. I'm 128600 right now with a 350 excavator. It weighs 81ish. 14/56,900/57620. Mo will only allow 130 on a normal 7 axle setup. Most states allow 20/60/60. But it's hard to get that much on a steer unless you have a really long neck.

Oxbow and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    With a 745 cat truck it weighs 76ish but it's heavy at the cab. With a 26' well I'm about 58 on the trailer but only 124k gross.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Where are you at?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    The gross dollars are high, but so are the operating cost.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I am going to say this in as nice a way as possible....

First
    You need to spend a lot of time learning about permits and costs and pilot cars and costs and fuel mileage and costs.

You can’t know what to charge to move a piece when you don’t know what the costs to move are going to be.

Second

You need to know what states are a problem for your set up - say CA or AZ for example - where you may only be able to
    Scale a 60k load

You need to know which states are going to require you to get empty travel permits just get where the load is...

Third

You need to assess your skill level and determine what sizes are in your envelope

Once you know these things - how much to charge will be relatively clear. $6/mile may not not leave you much at the end if you have to make a 300 mole detour that requires pilot cars and permit that cost $500-$1000 each.

Good luck

PSM379, kptnt2016, dclerici1 and 12 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.