Right weigh onboarding scales?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mobhaviick1, Apr 12, 2024.

1. mobhaviick1

mobhaviick1 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2024
    May I ask what companies use the right weigh onboarding scales? I know Prime Inc does. I don't understand why more companies use them. It doesn't make sense. If it saves time and money, why won't they use them more? It would be appreciated if anyone would let me know what companies use the scales..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    They're nice,you should never be overweight on the drives if it is installed.

4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Dayton Freight Lines had them in the majority of the twin screws, probably a standard feature by now.

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I’ve had the scales on all my trailers but can understand why they wouldn’t work in a large scale drop and hook operation.

If you are pulling a dedicated to you trailer all the time then it most certainly would be a time and money saver. Scale your first load to calibrate it and you’re good to go with maybe a recheck every 6 months or so.

In a drop hook situation how do you know if it’s calibrated correctly? Will the company take the blame and pay your overweight tickets? Will you just risk it in hopes that the last Bozo to calibrate it did good?

IMO it would just end up being a huge waste of money for a large operation..

cke, 88 Alpha and tarmadilo Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Everybody selling anything will say their product saves time or money or both. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. Sometimes the time/money saved is too small to justify the expense. It depends.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The way I’ve seen some people bounce the trailer to slide the tandems it would be a wonder if Prime’s trailer scales were remotely close after a couple drop and hooks.

cke, IH Truck Guy, kemosabi49 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    One of our single screw Internationals has that.

9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    At Dayton?

10. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    All our trucks have them,we use them on every load.Aim for a 60/40 weight distribution on the trailer,60% or 34k on the drives and 40% on the tandems.We have a scale also and check all axles before leaving the yard so never overweight.Sometimes there's open space on the front of the flatbeds so we know if we can add more freight there when loading.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No.

I’ve heard of there being air pressure gauges and how people estimate legality from that, but this actually gives a weight readout.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.