Rivet Nut Tools?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Caterpillar Cowboy, Nov 4, 2014.

  1. Caterpillar Cowboy

    Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

    Nov 11, 2010
    One of the winter projects on my to do list is replacing the gaskets on my cab lights, and I know for a fact 4/5 are spinning on the roof. What tool are you guys using for this job, Kicking around the idea of buying a tool as these are used on plenty of places on the truck, and with my luck and budget if I get any more outfits they will likely be of the same vintage and have the same problems, so buying the complete tooling setup would be money well spent.

    I'm talking about the rivet nuts as used on cab lights, air cleaner bracket bases, exhaust mounts, etc.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. jameslawton

    jameslawton Light Load Member

    May 1, 2013
    Tulsa OK
    Its called a nutsert you can get them off line or off the tool trucks I have not seen them in stores but usually the hole has cracked out and you can take panel in truck down and put nut and bigger washer on it to fix and silicon around the bolt hole also if you add a bigger visor its very cimmon to cause them to break out of the body
  4. skallagrime

    skallagrime Road Train Member

    Apr 10, 2012
    if you got the money and are willing to pay for the tool, get a big pneumatic one, ran us 1200 bucks (in 2007) but 2 trigger pulls and if you tuned it right its installed to better than off the assembly line tightness, WAY better than the "click-cert" kits you can get that kill your hands after the second one (also fantastic if you mess around with sheet metal, no welds and looks clean)
  5. Boardhauler

    Boardhauler Road Train Member

    Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    I believe Riv-nuts & Nut-serts are actually different products. One sits flush in the hole & the other has a small protrusion. I use the same hand type tool for both. I got mine from Graingers. Air operated would be a luxury and would probably do a better installation.
  6. GrapeApe

    GrapeApe Road Train Member

    Jan 7, 2013
    Air ones are much better, but hard to justify the cost for only using it a few times a year. Hand ones work, but they can be pretty tough to squeeze 1/4" and above. The one hander squeeze ones are nothing but trouble. They're hard to sqeeze and hold straight to get them tight. I had a two hander (kind of like bolt cutters) that was much better, but didn't fit in tight places.

    The best hand one I've used so far was this:

    I don't know the price, it was here when I started working here, but it works better than any squeeze style I've used.
  7. Pablo-UA

    Pablo-UA Road Train Member

    Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I do not like this tipe of riviets. Better to use aircraft riviets and tools. I know one guy, he builds small air planes of pre manufacted kits (vans aviation generally) and he has all tools. Belive me, aircraft riviets are much better!
  8. porkchop_express

    porkchop_express Bobtail Member

    Oct 17, 2013
    I use this tool for jobs like this:


    Not sure what kind of truck you have, but if its a Freightliner check the thread size because this tool won't come with the size that you need to replace them. It's a metric size but I can't remember off the top of my head and don't have the tool handy to check it.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted