Road driver for YRC or CDL A local Sysco

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rockie22, Sep 28, 2022.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    The extra board sucks. Not to mention bagging out. I believe YRC linehaul still bags out. Means when you report, have clothes etc for 5 days out. You can be bounced through the system for up to 5 days staying in motels. Sometimes they’ll use your tractor in the city while you’re on lay down. You also can be slipseated at any or all points. So you may see five different tractors on your trip. And they keep them sooooo clean, NOT. I would go to a LTL company like R&L where it is almost all out and back turns/meets. Some LTL’s bag out, Estes is one I believe and maybe OD. Some require you to work the dock at your turn point, like XPO.

Jenkins2020 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I personally wouldn’t be afraid of the work at food service,but that also depends on age and shape your in. I did it for years the only reason I quit was because I moved.You most likely could start of with your own route.Different companies do different schedules.Sysco was at least pretty much 5 days.Others who do more specialized customers could be 4 days on or less.I worked at mbm for example in the 90s we only served Hardee’s we bid every 6 months I had 1 bid where I only worked 2 days a week out and back same day.Still made $1000 a week and I would work another job on my days off 3 to 4 days and make another $1000 there in the 90s I was cleaning up with that until a driver with more seniority seen what I was doing and decided that would work for him and next bid he took it.

4. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Go to the UPRR for the big money...
    Yellow did not have a road operation out of LV.
    After the merge it they do have turns now.

5. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I would much rather do food service then a LTL terminal driver. If it’s P&D then I would consider it. With these you stay busy and the time flies while also being active. If you aren’t P&D at an LTL company it is mind numbing boredom and unhealthy from zero activity.

I drove from San Antonio to Houston and back every single day for a couple years and it was soul crushing.

6. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    At most 3 days out. It'll rarely if ever be more than that since they have to pay layover afterwards, which they don't want to do. Tractors being clean is hit or miss. Long as it works I don't see the problem. You get used to it when slipseating. I agree the extra board definitely sucks when you have no seniority. Pretty much everyone universally agrees on that.

7. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    What contract are you under that pays layover after 3 days?
    I’ve seen line tractors I wouldn’t get in to move across the yard let alone spend hours in.

8. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    I forget the article number, but if you have to stay in a hotel on the 4th day or more, then you get paid for all the time you're in sleep. And I've never been in a tractor so dirty that I wouldn't move. The shop guys are supposed to clean them out between runs. occasionally their will be a left over water bottle somewhere or crumbs but that's about it. I guess it varies by region as far as the condition of the trucks goes.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Clean Harbors definitely needs to be looked into. I’ve talked to a few of their Drivers. Looks like a pretty good gig. Equipment is top notch. They seem very content with the Company and pay.

10. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    They are growing fast!!!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Stay away they are a giant mess

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.