Road King Shocks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Polarbear, Jan 11, 2012.

1. trucker10

trucker10 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2012
    El Paso, Texas
    I also purchase six shocks myself for my Peterbilt about 3 years ago and i do have to say the're not cheap but they are so worth the money . The ride improvement is huge compare to any other shock I have had on my truck over the years, right now I have around 300,000 miles on my shocks and have notice that I do get better tire mileage like they said I would. before I used to purchase Monroe shocks once a year and they were worn out way before 100,000 miles and rode terrible so at least to for me I think I'll take a little bad costumer service any day then go back to any other shock and I'm sorry to hear about your shocks and your bad costumer service, the strange thing to me is that all your 6 shocks were leaking because I have not had that problem maybe faulty seals are to blame...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Polarbear

Polarbear Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    USA
    Well that is the thing about the shocks is that they should reduce wear on the tires and on the components of the suspension as opposed to stock Monroe type shocks and this is very valuable over the life of the truck. I had all 6 shocks with loose wipers and of those 6, 2 were leaking. All were fixed and sent to me, and now I just have to wait and see. To me, the cost should carry with it better service and better performance, not just on the part of the actual shock, but in the dealership itself. After talking to the owner of Road King, he seemed to be apologetic and wanting to fix the problem. Apparently, there were problems in the manufacturing process of my particular shocks as other people I know who have these shocks haven't had any problems. I like the shocks, I just don't like the process of having to replace them and wait for the factory to rebuild them. I, and many others, even on radio programs, have said that Road King should recieve your shocks and have some others on hand that are already rebuilt to send you so that you are only down for a day or so at the most, subject to shipping times. A week and a half to two weeks is excessive.

4. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    When you first put them on you need to hang on to your old ones.. You will need to bolt them back on when rebuild time comes.

I wish the Road Kings would use rubber or even urethane bushings the way my cheap Gabriels do. At least for the steers it's nice to not feel every crack in the pavement I drive over.

5. paperchase

paperchase Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2011
    houston, tx
    i got mine with no prob. back n july sometime. the back road rough as hell for a while i guess i had to break them n rides fine now

6. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Old thread I know, but just bought 4 Gabriel adjustable for the drive axles at $180 shipped off of ebay. All are new in box & have not installed as of this post. Monroes at local KW dealer were $250. The last set of Monroes I had were on the steer axle & leaked from the first month on. Replaced a year later with the standard OEM Gabriel & no issues.

All that said, have replaced cab & steer shocks in the past & can never tell a difference ride wise. The only improvement is aesthetics getting rid of the old & replacing with new.

7. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    10/4 Do you know how many Monro's you can buy for $2000.00?

8. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    That's weird my experience over multiple trucks is that the Gabriels all ride like garbage and don't last. Especially the blue gas ones, they leak after a few weeks and seize up solid. Switch to Munroe and instantly notice how much nicer the truck rides, and they last much longer too. The Gabriels seem to have a nasty hop to them.

LBZ Thanks this.
  9. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    The KW shop is saying they are having as good of luck with Monroe as anything else they have ever sold(Gabriel/TRP). The Western Star shop is saying that Monroe consolidated its product line to make one shock fit multiple applications.

Think it probably comes down to which supplier cuts the best deal to the retailers in terms of their opinions.

My personal experience was written above. Have not(to date) had a Gabriel shock leak or fail like Monroe did. All 6 plus the two cab shocks on the truck will be Gabriel. Will see how it goes.

10. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    My experience with Gabriels was not that great.. I had one of those 3-way adjustable not leaking but not working either. Dealer refused to replace because there were no signs of leak. Monroes all around and the ride is way better..

11. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    I pulled off my roadkings and went with monroe magnum 65's.
    They ride softer and are way cheaper...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.