Road test with different transmission than im used to

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by HeatherAnn, Apr 22, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You folks would love the old 15 speed with top gear against the dash lol.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Was just going to say the same thing. Then have both types of 15 speeds in your fleet, which I do. I try to only buy 18 speeds now. They are simply the most versatile road transmission there is. I really like 15 speeds in dump trucks. The deep reduction is handy.

FoolsErrand and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Psst, ( whispering) You do know a Stuperliner is nothing more than a R model with a bigger hood.( not that there's anything wrong with that) I believe it took the place of the RS700 "Western".

Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If I can move a rig and sneak off with it to be alone with it for say an hour I'll learn her ok. It wont be pretty.

I'll share one story which is something of a man card remover for me, but I got over it long ago. I was sent to Aberdeen to pickup a tractor trailer from a former driver too sick to leave his hotel room or continue in employ. Something bad happened to him and ended his trucking days. So once i got the tractor I had to go find and hook up to the trailer.

The #### thing had a super 10 in it, one I hate. Now here is my father who was my driver to get the truck running along behind me while I wrestle with that bobtail and shifing at about 30 or so up US1 a way in full view of the public. Radio lit up... what in the world is wrong with that driver, he cannot shift. Yea listen to that mess... uh huh etc etc etc.

Oh the shame. But the special burn was reserved for doing this in front of family. UGH.

I was able to eventually relearn that transmission but it took about half a day. And Townhill up to Breezewood made sure that I needed to know that particular one. The engine was the kind that rev'ed down FAST, if you pulled a gear and needed to shift the rpms flopped over to 600 instantly leaving you out of the gear you wanted in next. So it took alot of slapping to get that thing up there.

Eventually I had to shop it to replace the busted fuel pedal. I told them why. So they made adjustments and made her a little better on that end.

7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Just drive it like a 9 speed and only use the thump button when you get to top gear. After a week or two you will have it down like a pro l.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    The thumb button. LOL It's a splitter. Except in a 15. 15 have range selectors and no splitter. All transmissions are H pattern with a couple of extra buttons. Sometimes the last two gears are reversed. Like a set of sticks, 15 O or an 18 DO.

9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    LTL is Less Than a Load, implied meaning is Less Than a full Load. Typically refers to UPS, Fed Ex , etc, carriers that are pulling trailers that are only partially full.

10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    The 10 speed Mack I drove doing farm milk pickups had a strong torque curve in 9th and 10th gears, so it would pull good on the hills. I was impressed by it, being a 10 speed.

My first job was driving 18 speed Peterbilts, pulling milk tankers. The owner showed me how to shift it when we went on the driving test.

Study the shift pattern on the internet, and read how to use the thumb shifter for splitting the gears. Splitting the gears is optional until you learn how to do it. You can shift it like a 10 speed......it won’t take you long to learn to use the thumb button.

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I wondered what a "thump button" was too. Regional dialect?.:biggrin_2559:

okiedokie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.