road test

Discussion in 'Marten' started by greenmile, Feb 11, 2009.

1. greenmile

greenmile Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2009
    jacksonville,nc
    i am bout to start with marten on.i am a little on the touchey side right now with my nerves. i am worried because i havent drove a manual in over a year.so i am worried that i will be rusty like a newbie. the last company i was with only have auto's.real peice of craps.when i take the road test i hope i can do well.does anyone have any advice to help ease my nerves.:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Just take a deep breath and relax! I had been out of the seat for 8 years, tried getting back into it a couple years ago, road tested just fine, but the insurance company said I needed a refresher. You never really forget how, and it will come back to you!

4. wahwah70

wahwah70 Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Bloomfield Hills, Mi.
    It's just a road test... As long as you can control the truck and back it up with out hitting anything, you should be fine. Just explain to the instructor beforehand that you haven't drove a standard in awhile and you'll probably be rusty... Most are forgiving when it comes to shifting, especially if your going out with a trainer!

As far as advice goes, I'd just keep it simple and use only the gears you have to and try to time your turns so that the surrounding traffic forces you to stop before making a turn, that way you can just shift into first or second wile stopped!

Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    Big Duker Thanks this.
  5. ghostranger5of7

ghostranger5of7 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Springdale, AR
    I was in the same situation a few years ago. And had the same worries. And can confirm the answers ya got. Don't worry. It comes back very quickly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.