RoadMaster Drivers School Dunn NC Review

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Sal-XK, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Sal-XK

Sal-XK Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    ??????
    I used the ones on this site that was it. The rest was in the book good luck man!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatsguy87

flatsguy87 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    tallahassee
    another quick question. i dont kno a darn thing about mechanics. how intense is this 140 point pre trip inspection test gonna be becouse i feel im good to go on everything in the written test but im starting to go over the pretrip and its kinda boggling my mind. any tips? becouse yeah i can learn what everything is and does but that doesnt mean i can point it out to you on a semi. do they go over the pre trip in the first week at all? sorry to ask so many questions its just that failure is not an option and i just dont wanna pass i wanna ace everything.

4. Sal-XK

Sal-XK Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    ??????
    No pretrip the first week at all and very little the second week. Just do it every break and chance you get you'll be fine. It does seem like a lot when your looking at it on paper but once you do it a few times on the truck it really isn't that bad at all. Oh and yes they will show you where and what all the parts are. Teaming up with someone who's good at it will help to.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    No matter how good a school is it just gets you a CDL . You'll probably end up at a BFI where much more is expected . Lifetime job placement means little if you get terminated with a negative DAC or end up going more than a few months between jobs . CDL mills make their money by high driver turnover at carriers when their past students fail .
    As good as a school may be there is a problem with abusive carriers .

6. Sincere1

Sincere1 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    $11,000 to $12,000 how does the payment for this school work?Do they want the money up front, is there housing?

7. Sal-XK

Sal-XK Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    ??????
    No you misunderstood, that amount is what the final cost is for students who finance there tuition and stay in the hotel for the 4wk program. That also includes finance charges on, how the payments are worked out that I am unsure of. This would obviously be the last route you want to go getting into debt to get a job. That being said its better then going to a company to get your CDL and be obligated to them for a year or longer at a reduced wage at least this way you have choices. Good luck!

8. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I also graduated from the Dunn Roadmaster and I am very happy with my experience there. I am in the military and I worked hard and focused. I showed up early and studied during lunch and I was the only one in my class of ten to graduate on my scheduled date. I was on the weekend class, but we were there at the same time. The weekend is much better because you will have 2 students to 1 instructor which gives you much more drive time then when you 4 students to a truck. I have not taken a job yet as I am still in the army for another month, but the job placement service was very helpful for the others. I decided to go with an outside company, but she still told me to call any time I need anything.

9. egander1

egander1 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2012
    south texas
    Thanks for your post, it was very informative. I am looking at trucking for a change of careers and trying to decide the best way to get my CDL. I will be paying for any training and not financing any portion and one school I talked with a while back offered a discount on their tuition and I believe it was Roadmasters in San Antonio. Do you know if this is true?

I also wanted to know if looking back you would recommend this school or if you had a do over you would go another route to get your CDL. Several years ago when I was looking at getting my CDL I took and passed all the written tests but didn't have a vehicle to practice driving to do the driving tests so I didn't go any farther at that time.

Now as a 52 year old newbie just starting any advice you or anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

10. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I would do it the same way if I had to do it over again. Most companies will not take you as a newbie if you did not come from a good school. I will say how you get your CDL is really a matter of what you want to do. Several companies have their own program to get you a CDL if you plan on driving for them. I know England, Swift, and a couple others have their own program. I like Roadmaster, because you have the option to go anywhere rather than just go to the companies who's school you went to. However you could go to a companies school, do 1 year and then go wherever you like.

11. egander1

egander1 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2012
    south texas
    Thanks for the quick reply. One of the reasons I was looking at Roadmasters was to avoid being obligated to a particular company and hopefully have options to choose from after graduation. I am currently working so I am trying to avoid too much disruption in getting a paycheck. During the summer I can take vacation to do the schooling and then continue working until I find a trucking job. In some ways I would like to give notice now and start training right away but if I didn't get a decent trucking job in a few months it would be difficult financially.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.