Roadmaster driving school question

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by choo choo train, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Young Temple

Young Temple Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Kissimmee, FL
    Hey All. GO TO MID FLORIDA TECH AND SAVE YOURSELF $4,000 and a lot of stress. There are less people in the calss and you get more Driving time and training. And Fridays off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. macho52

macho52 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2008
    merritt Island, FL
    I agree with young temple also today I was just talking with a potential company to work and they also told me that I will be better with Mid Florida and coming from a company that is looking for drivers sounds pretty good. I checked with MFT and the cost is about $2,000. The only thing is 8 weeks long.:yes2557:

4. mDub

mDub Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Mooreville, MS
    i requested info online, got an e-mail

10-4! We are so excited that you have inquired about truck driver training.
    If you’ve often dreamed about a better life for yourself or your family, your
    dreams are about to become reality:
    Drive a better car. Buy a bigger house. Finally have health insurance. Be able
    to pay for your children’s college tuition. Take paid vacations. Save for early
    retirement. Learning how to drive a big rig can make this all possible! You
    drive everywhere everyday anyway…why not get paid for it while visiting places
    you may never have gone.
    There will be a need for 450,000 drivers in the next ten years to keep up with
    demand, and you’ve just completed the first step to get in on a great career
    that has no unemployment rate. This is certainly the right time, and you’re in
    the right place to take advantage of this great opportunity!
    A Roadmaster representative will be contacting you shortly to answer any
    questions you might have about our short training and professional driving in
    general. If you start today, by this time next month you’ll be telling everyone
    what thousands of people already know: Roadmaster Drivers School can change your
    life!
    See you down the road!
    Roadmaster Drivers School 1-800

that's it. nobody called nothing in regular mail nothin.

5. TX ROOKIE

TX ROOKIE Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Kerrville, TX
    I am not getting what your trying to say. Hope you realize that CDL schools attendance has tripled over the past few months. My instructors at Roadmaster in San Antonio told me last year the average class size was 6-12 people, now it's up to 18-23 people. Helluva lot of people shooting for CDL. Did you call the school for info OR e-mail the school recruiter personally?? :biggrin_25511: They are pretty busy nowadays:biggrin_255:

6. havenot

havenot Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Olive Branch, MS
    I just got off the phone (a good 45 min or more) with a Roadmaster rep. Smooth talking, super nice guy. The numbers he throws out there sure don't line up with what I've been reading here with regards to earnings.

Tuition: 6495.00 for a 3 week course
    Said to expect $4-600 out of the gate once finished and driving with whoever you decide to go with.
    Said reimbursement for the schooling from most truck lines that offer it would be in the form of a seperate check(seperate from your $4-600) to the tune of about 150.00wk
    Said if you aren't making 1700.00 to 2000.00 a week after a year something is wrong.
    Approx. 150.00 up front for DOT physical/drug test/etc...
    Wanted 2500.00 retainer right off the bat.
    Said that stand alone schools have better training and make it easier for you to get a job than in house with a truck line, leaves you more in control.
    Here's a really good one: said I could be a trainer/instructor at a truck line inside of 6 months, starting pay for those positions on average.......69K!!!

He was dying for me to commit and said there was an open seat for this upcoming Monday. I could commute since its 35-40 miles from the house.

I've been laid off for 5 weeks and counting and I'm not sitting on a mountain of cash, told him the up front money was impossible and my credit sucks. He said he'd hear back from finance within the hour and get back with me............

7. TX ROOKIE

TX ROOKIE Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Kerrville, TX
    havenot
    I'm not sure which school you are trying to attend, but, I just completed my training in San Antonio. The instructors are great, very informative and open to alot of questions.
    All the numbers you posted seems pretty accurate to me EXCEPT for the retainer. I have no knowledge of that figure.
    If you decide to attend the school in San Antonio my suggestion is to NOT fill out your final Comment sheet UNTIL you see your final GPA breakdown. The daily sheets that I had to initial from my instructor stated that my shifting and driving were good multiple times over 4 weeks, but my final GPA stated all of this was below average! I'm sure this has to do with my final comment sheet stating that the trucks need a little TLC and that I couldnt belive that the school didnt fly the U.S. Flag proudly.
    So , be careful, I recieved great training from the instructors, but, got screwed on the way out the door from the management.

8. havenot

havenot Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Olive Branch, MS
    The school in question was a Roadmaster campus in West Memphis, AR.

9. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    TX ROOKIE, Im just about to start Roadmaster in San Antonio, any advice? How was it? were the CDL tests hard? What did the DOT physical involve? Do you feel you were adaquitly prepared for it? How did the trucks/trailers handle? How was your shifting "below average?"

Thanks for the inside info,
    Homer

10. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    TX Rookie went with Werner.

I believe he may NOT be driving anymore !!!!!

11. TX ROOKIE

TX ROOKIE Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Kerrville, TX
    I'm still driving, just not for Werner. I miss my T-600 , but, i opted to get paid by the hour for driving, not .023 cents a mile!!!
    About the school, it's been a little over a year since i've been there, but the only thing i had a problem with was the GPA scores on the last day. Everything else was very easy, of course with all the students in the trucks the transmissions were just a little worn. But I believe the school is only there to show you the very basics. Where ever you end up after school is where your going to learn how to drive in the "real world". Your initial trainer is the one who is going to either make you or break you. I was very lucky in this department. Both of my trainers were outstanding!
    Don't worry about the school. They are only there to "assist" you in getting your license. Think about it, the only reason you need to go to school is because they have the truck you need to pass your test, you have to do all the work!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.