Roadmaster, Dunn, NC, Review Start 19 June 2017

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I start school here on the 19th of June. I'll give my reviews as often as I can about the daily training and instruction.

I'm using my Post 9-11 GI Bill to pay for it. That is all done online and takes, maybe, 20 minutes. They give you an application number which you print out and provide to the school.

Karl is the Roadmaster recruiter who filled out my paperwork. That was another 20 minutes to a half hour. I went to the school and filled it out, but they use DocuSign so it probably could all be done online. DocuSign sends copies of all paperwork signed directly to your email which gives you a digital copy for your records.

He told me that the top two reasons folks fail the school are failure to get a Commercial Learners Permit, (CLP), and failing the drug test. I took the permit test for NC today and got my 2 year medical card yesterday. There are 3 tests to take. 50 question general knowledge, 25 question combination trailer, and a 20 question air break test are all you need to be ready for. The study guide is online and there are free tests on this site and about everywhere if you do a Google search. Too easy. Read, practice, and take the tests. It's just one more thing not to worry about during school.

I have no idea how high someone has to be to do drugs right before a known drug test, but it's probably good they get caught. My preparation is to not do drugs, which is how I have been my entire life. (Yeah, I'm boring like that)

So, starting Monday with 2 year medical card, CLP in hand, and the VA paying for it is the deal. I live 45 minutes away so I won't be staying in a hotel. Sorry, can't help you on that part.

Before I forget, normal dress for the first week, which is all classroom. No flip flops or opened toed shoes are allowed. My advice, start dressing for the job you want and a job interview as a trucker. I'll be wearing sneakers/ tennis shoes, jeans, and probably a Polo type shirt the first week, and then upgrade the footwear during week 2.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Werner owns Roadmaster, so they'll probably push the Dollar General Account.
    Dozens of companies to choose from though.
    Schneider Bulk has a good veterans program after you graduate from Roadmaster. @19d can fill you in on the details. Big paychecks in tankers.

4. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Been following his thread and Schneider Bulk is high on my list. My wife and I are discussing it. We may take something closer so she can drop me off and pick me up. Leaving my vehicle at the yard for 3 to 4 weeks isn't really preferred, but just may be what I need to do to work for Schneider. We have time to discuss the options.

The Roadmaster recruiter has already pushed a little for Werner. LOL

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    You will do just fine. Your military training has taught you how to take classes, and a good work ethic. It ain't rocket science, just good old common sense. Keep us advised and thanks for your service keeping us safe.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  6. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 1 (18 students)

The first three hours were spent hearing from the various administrative instructors and the job finder gal.
    After that, the four of us who had our permits started Etreads. The rest of the class began studying for the permit test. One by one we all took a urinalysis and went to get paperwork verified with the clerk. Those without physicals got those done at the school. We ended the day by making a log book of the previous week of off duty time and then the current days log of 10 hrs duty time was constructed.

The facilities are fine enough. It took a while to get any instruction going, but they are doing what a lot of places do, checking the block and filling up the 160 hours. I was able to finish all of the required etreads.

E treads are short class on the desktop. Pay attention, there may be a question or two at the end of a segment. If you do not answer it correctly, you need to re watch the segment and answer the same exact question. No, you can't rewind or fast forward it, so simply pay attention. You really don't have to be all that alert answer the simple questions, but just in case, pay attention and it will be over faster.

There are two breaks and a lunch hour during the day. The breaks are at 1000 Am and 1500 (3PM)
    No open toed shoes was reiterated.

Day 2 (18 Students)

Classes for non permit holders, which I paid attention to. A fairly easy day. The job finder gal met with each student individually and she puts in a lot of applications for you, and even to some places you many not wish to go. LOL. I had 4 more pre hire letters in the afternoon. Being only interested in one of the companies, I sent the others back an email to let them know I was looking into a different type of trucking, of course, I thanked each recruiter for taking the time to contact me.

After lunch we got introduced to pre trip and hook and unhooking. It wasn't the formal class, just an overview of what we'd be focusing on next week when we start shifting, pre trip, and basic yard skills. It gave us a chance to see each part of the truck earlier than expected.

We ended the day by updating our log book. The non permit holders did a 120 question practice test while the four of us looked over pre trip or did the e treads if we had any left to do.

Oh, forgot. They issue a badge during day 1. It is used to clock into training in the morning and out in the evening. Days start at 7 and end at 6.

ncmickey and SHOJim Thank this.
  7. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 3 (18 students)

It was more classes for general knowledge, air brakes, and combination. We continued doing log books. Myself and one of the other permit holders was allowed to take the Gen Knowledge final. We both did well. We watched a couple of videos and discussed accidents, rollover prevention, and skid recovery. A fairly easy day. Etreads were done by some students in between classes and practice tests.

Day 4 (18 Students)

I believe the students in the hotel checked out. A Werner driver and his trainee came by first thing in the morning. He discussed his driving experience with Werner and we asked questions if we had them. It was a half day in the classroom today. Everyone who needed it took the Gen Knowledge final before leaving and the other two required practice permit tests.

Students who need permits are now at DMVs taking permit tests. I am home in Fayetteville. Should they fail, they still have Friday and Saturday to retest. The instructions, to all, are not to come back until you have a permit which does not have an air brake restriction. Good luck. LOL

That may sound mean, but seriously, there isn't any need to be at the school without a permit. If it takes you a week, just let them know and they will insert you into the next week. We are moving onto driving.

The expense of the permit is on the student, (60 dollars total), 40 for permit testing and 20 for the actual permit.

Weekend study requirement: Learn the gear pattern and speeds/tac, practice double clutching, clutch neutral, clutch gear. Get Pre trip in your head as best you can. One should show up on Monday able to name the majority of the parts and the possible defects. They give you a book with pictures and everything is listed. YouTube has videos. So, get familiar as best you can. I'll be studying this starting tonight.

Will update next week. So far, it's what I expected. Most classmates agree. Do the work and you'll be fine. Most wish they would have gotten their permit out of the way before coming. hint, hint

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    PhilKenSebben and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Quick update and a note.

Update: I took the HAZMAT and Tanker tests at the DMV after my Schneider interview this morning. I passed them both. Will be doing the fingerprinting and background stuff up in Raleigh tomorrow for the TWIC and HME. Those things take up to 30 days so getting it started early is in my best interest. Raleigh the closest place for me to go. This stuff, endorsements and TWIC, are outside of the school. If you want something, you go to it. Don't let it come to you at other people's leisure.

NC HAZMAT test is 30 questions and the Tanker test is 20 questions.

Note: I am pleasantly surprised with the Instructors so far. Although the school is owned by Werner, not a single instructor has bad-mouthed another trucking company. Werner was the first in the door to speak to us and they sent a driver a trainer a couple of days later, but there isn't pressure to go with them from the school. I think the ones going that way are doing so because people go with what they feel they know. Werner advertising is everywhere and those are the folks who are met first.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    One last update required. Due to my own lack of preparation I am losing a week on getting my HAZMAT and TWIC. I failed to ensure that I had an official copy of my birth certificate. It's probably in OR with my ex.

I called MN and they emailed me the paperwork to get another. I am getting it notarized tomorrow and faxing it back. They offer an overnight return after processing so I will have it this coming Thursday. Luckily, I can submit my TWIC and HAZMAT paperwork on Saturday, so I only lose a week.

10. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 5 (9 students)

There might be ten, but it's either 9 or 10 left, so half the class is gone. Not sure if the permit got them or if they just decided getting behind the wheel of a big rig wasn't for them.

Roll call at 0700 and then half of us head to the yard to learn backing and half head off to drive a loop. I went to the yard. We each got to backup once after instruction and demonstration. Instructors are knowledgeable, so listen to them and do what they are telling you. Each vehicle has a radio in it and they tell you what to do if you're having issues. It doesn't get much easier than that as a method to learn. Our first time was in an automatic too, so I guess it is even easier.

After lunch I went to the loop for driving. I believe having a smaller class size helped. It was me and one other student with an instructor for the entire afternoon. Maybe we got lucky, but that lady knew how to instruct. She had us running the loop and out on 95 in no time. Yes, some gears got ground here and there, I rubbed, (Ran over) a curb, but got the hang of it. Was crapping bricks the first time merging that beast onto the highway, but we got it done. Neither of us stalled it. (Knock on wood)

Double clutching is easier than I thought it would be on the upshift. Down shifting takes some getting used to. Hving to punch up the RPMs felt weird, but like anything, it'll be second nature before I know it. Shifting up can easily be done by sound. Knowing the speed and punching the RPMs up is the key to the downshift.

I have good classmates. Their attitudes and willingness to learn is a major advantage. I met GenX from these boards. He's a week or so ahead of me. Good guy who came up and introduced himself. That was cool. I probably screwed up his moniker so I'll fix that later.

Well, it's off to read my pre trip and then kill some Zombies or whatever my 9 yo is in the mood for.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    SHOJim Thanks this.
  11. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 6 (11 students)

Two of our classmates came back today. One had a work issue and one a funeral, so obviously excused from class on Monday. It was great to see them show up.

It was the same as yesterday in the morning, but there were more trucks for backing, so a lot more practice was had. TMC recruiters came after lunch and gave a pitch. I found flatbeds and weekends home interesting, but am still leaning hard over to tankers.

In the afternoon we drove, but a lot more than the day before. Yup, it gets easier. Less curbs get hit and the gears are a little safer too. Downshifting still gets me tripped up every now and then, but it was a heck of a lot better than yesterday. Our instructor kept providing feedback and took every opportunity to explain if we were messing something up. At a truck stop we ran into one of her former students. He was there filling up the holding tanks from his tanker. It was nice to spend a few minutes chatting with him, an actual tanker yanker, out doing the job. Got his numbers and a possible in at a home every night and weekend job pulling gas around my area.

The Stevens recruiters came at the end of the day to make a pitch. The guy bought the class pizza. They aren't for me, tank division is small and requires relocation to TX.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.