Roadmaster Phoenix too many students, greedy?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MaximumOverdrive21, Sep 14, 2023.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Since the laws were changed last year and you have to go thru a school to get cdl This is going to only get worse. Overcrowding, understaffed, and they can charge high prices.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Werner owns the school. They charge that high price because they know it's better to fulfill the contract than owe $11,000 for breaking the contract. The student doesn't have to go with Werner though, so will owe $11,000 unless the company they choose will reimburse part of the $11,000 back to the student. No company I know of will reimburse that much.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Is there any kind of certification for the instructors? Federal or state licensing? Do they have to have any formal training or a teaching credential?. One of our retired drivers interviewed for an instructor's job in Sacramento and he said they'd take anyone with a CDL and a little patience. There was no real curriculum, no standardization in teaching methods, and very little actual personal instruction if a student was struggling.
    The students watched a lot of videos.
    He didn't take the job. He said for most of the students English was a second language and the communication problems were unbelievable.
    And, so you'll know the guy knew what he was looking at, he has a teaching credential and works part time at the local Community College.

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    $11k?
    Holy crap, people actually agree to pay that amount to drive a fluffin truck..you didn’t agree on that did you, lol

I can’t tell you what I’d like to because I will definitely get banned..ugh

You could have come to South Florida for a college course..paid out of state tuition, lived on the beach for a month, eaten like a king and have scratch leftover to fly first class back home.

1 month one on one training and you test out..

6. MaximumOverdrive21

MaximumOverdrive21 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2023
    Well it’s 7500 plus a 4000 “financing fee” , not sure how that works

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How long is the contract with Werner?

8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    What’s it matter, he’s in debt now 11k, twice what it should be..

I would find a way out of that contract and run away as fast as I could. If they misrepresented the course in any way that’s a start.

All the debt people are willing to take on and they don’t even know if they’ll last a week in the real world..

austinmike and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    He doesn't owe the money if he fulfills the contract. Most companies the contract is for 12 months. Drive for 12 months and the debt is paid.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    austinmike Thanks this.
  10. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I paid $3k for truck driving school back in 2000.

11. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    In 2000 a Big Mac was $2.39, now $4.99. Based on the cost of insurance for a new authority, I cannot imagine what schools pay.

I would bet $6,500 would be average for CDL school across the country. OP stated $7,000 plus $4,000 finance charge.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.