Roadmaster Phoenix too many students, greedy?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MaximumOverdrive21, Sep 14, 2023.

1. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Man, I'm in the wrong business. 11K for a CDL? and be a slave to Werner for 1 year and all is forgiven? I applaud you for learning a trade and wanting to contribute to society but there had to have been a much more affordable way without strings attached to it. Best of luck to you. Not only was it sad to read the price of the training but the language barrier between the trainers and trainees is just insane to comprehend. In an industry that cries SAFETY FIRST every chance it gets. If I remember I think I paid $2,300 in 1992 through a private school.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    austinmike and Concorde Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

CDL schools have been this way for 3 decades. They didn't hire you to be a consultant and fix their school. You hired them to teach you enough to get a CDL. Learn everything you can and the first employer will teach you the 95% of the job the school doesn't teach. They wouldn't be charging $11k per student if there wasn't a huge demand by newbies to get a CDL. If you focus on the school you may work for the wrong company and not make AT least $11k more than you would have earned before CDL school.

4. tscottme

Contracts are not something you should ever let yourself be rushed into. Now you are in a corner. Stop wanting to fix the school and get your CDL. The shortest path out of this problem is forward. Unless the school asks you how to improve the situation they don't want to hear from you. Practice your pre-trip items, you will need as much time as possible.

austinmike, Chinatown, Hatt91 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    With all of the above said -- if you do graduate with a CDL, Werner really isn't a bad gig right out of the gate.

Truth be told -- you could certainly do A LOT WORSE (& others most certainly have :rolleyes:).

-- L

GelatoJP and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. tscottme

I paid $3500 in 1994. A nearby state Vo-Tech is/was charging $4k in the last year or two.
    Half of the companies that hire newbies will offer Tuition Reimbursement if the new-hires have outstanding CDL school loans. But, like Chinatown said, I don't know of a company willing to reimburse $11k in loans.
    Look before you leap

boneebone, austinmike and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I paid $3,500 in 2000 to TDI in Christiana, TN. I later found out it would have been cheaper through the vocational technical school in Shelbyville, TN. I should have done some homework before pulling the trigger but I just jumped in like op. But $11,000 wow! The big blue screw no less. Modern day indentured servitude.

8. tscottme

TDI/CDI was the school I used before they moved to Christiana. I thought they had a good school and the price was fair. I had a job waiting on me before I graduated.

Chinatown and rollin coal Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah, same here. Ironically Werner rejected me. Turned out they did me a huge favor lol

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. MaximumOverdrive21

MaximumOverdrive21 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2023
    Well a short update on how the classes are going. We have an excellent instructor who makes the school worth it. No kidding. I was initially turned off by them having crowded classrooms but that was somehow magically fixed once I posted this thread. Seems like a great school now that I’ve gotten some classroom time with there too notch cadre. I spoke way too soon for sure. Thanks for your input guys.

tscottme, austinmike and lual Thank this.
  11. MaximumOverdrive21

MaximumOverdrive21 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.