Robot trucks?? Are you kidding??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by izifaddag, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its a bunch of crap IMO. A computer can't "see" the loose straps on your lumber. It can't "see" the broken chain holding that D6 onto the lowbed. How is a dump truck going to navigate 3 miles in reverse down a narrow driveway to a house that's being built? What happens when the truck is going downgrade in a snow storm, throws the jake on and jackknifes into the ditch? Can't tell me we have the technology to tell if the road is icy or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Joe you really narrowed down their usability. So where would they actually be used? What has been mentioned many times is the fly over states. Nebraska, Wyoming, the Dakotas. But are those roads ready to take non manned trucks? I am not kidding about infrastructure. A self driving truck cannot really be a self driving truck. Automation cannot rely on GPS, cameras and radar alone. It needs smart control from a reliable source. Somewhere close and able to skip a broken source. If a set of miniature transponders are mounted at regular spaces down the road that would do it. The receiver in the truck receives an overlapping signal just as with cell phones. Each transponder hands off to the next seamlessly. Anybody had a dropped call??
    Big difference between losing a phone call and 80,000 pounds of loose cannon.
    Transponders need power. You can't rely on solar for multiple reasons. So ok now you have to run a dedicated voltage cable down the side of the road. That costs money. Thousands of miles of cable.
    Before anyone says well cell phones don't have cables. News flash. Yes they do.
    Your cell phone transmits a short distance to a cell tower. That cell tower is connected through the already existing telephone network - yes Ma Bell - to what is called the switch. It then goes out to the nearest cell tower to the person you are calling.
    Things aren't quite as slick as they would have us believe.
    I could explore this a great deal more but I think you get the general idea.
    This isn't happening anytime soon.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    This is true. Tell a lie convincingly enough and repeat it long enough and it will start to ring true. In fact I think we should start replacing the word lie with the word trump. You just told a trump or you are trumping.
    Things are taken to market deliberately unfully tested. I saw this with my own eyes. They still want the full price for them though and react to the complaints. Not because they care about the customer but because the complaints reveal trends and production can be adjusted. I was involved in this. It is unethical and dishonest but it is modern marketing. All you have to do is say Hello Moto enough times and people are trusting.

nax Thanks this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Four-hundred-plus-ton autonomous haul trucks are already in use in Australia, Chile, Canada and likely other locations. They "see" the road just fine. How difficult do you really think it will be to get a garden-variety 80,000 lb truck to accurately follow a ribbon of asphalt from one building to the next? Will autonomous trucks replace all drivers? No, but they'll sure put a serious dent in the ~60% (SWAG) of driving that are repetitive routes.

Self-driving, 416-ton trucks are hauling raw materials around Australia

6. dc730

dc730 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2016
    That's sad though wanting to cut the driver for only 15% saving over human these company need to wake up if no one has jobs people won't beable to buy all your #### on welfare

Rollr4872 and izifaddag Thank this.
  7. Blue Nomad

Blue Nomad Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I think huge commercial freight drones will be more of a threat than autonomous trucks imo.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have been waiting since 1958 when I was 5 years old to hop in my neighbors flying car. He never got it, I never got a ride. It was right there on the cover of Popular Mechanix....

Rollr4872 and izifaddag Thank this.
  9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Despite our protestations, it's coming, and it's coming fast. Why? MONEY. Gobs, oodles, tons, piles of MONEY.

Morgan Stanley estimates that an autonomous, electric semi truck would cost 70% LESS than what we do now. Two million semi trucks in the US, say we replace half. One million. Operating budget per truck, $200,000 per year. Savings per truck, $140,000.

How much is a million times $140,000? $140 billion. Per year. Every. Single. Year. From now on. More if we run more than half of the miles autonomously. That's a dazzling pile of money. Irresistible.

How much does it cost to pain magnetic paint on the freeway so an autonomous truck can follow the road in the snow? Or RFID transponders?

Uber put out an estimate that their autonomous cars are expected to drop the cost per mile for an Uber ride from just north of $2.00 a mile to....... $0.25 per mile. That'll change EVERYTHING. Want to go to a restaurant? They'll pay for your car. Kid needs to go to soccer? Pull up the Uber app.

The amount of money involved is so incredibly staggering that infrastructure needs such as improved GPS, road surface guiding, vehicle to vehicle communications and transponders are going to be relatively small expenses.

10. Blue Nomad

Blue Nomad Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    What's your time frame for this to happen for lets say half the trucks to be autonomous?

izifaddag Thanks this.
  11. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    @Blue Nomad, I'm GUESSING here, but I expect the first non-experimental autonomous trucks to be rolling in five years, and the halfway adoption point in 10 to 15 years. Full adoption in something like 20 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.