Robot trucks?? Are you kidding??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by izifaddag, Sep 16, 2017.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I'm not missing the point at all. You seem to have a very optimistic outlook on the possibilities of autonomous trucks, while I live in reality every day. This Jetson truck you envision sound so like nothing more than a self propelled trailer jif. You ever read Overdrive magazine in the 1980s? Those trucks were prototypes, and never developed. And I hardly see a business built in 1950s-1980s that's already paid for its facilities quickly adapting at the potential savings that may never come to fruition.

And why would they need to pay surcharges? Remember the autonomous truck is about saving billions by eliminating the employee/driver, so what's the ROI improving your facility for a small portion of the industry until full adaptation occurs? Projections and actual savings rarely line up and that's a tough sell to a man whose been getting deliveries the same way for roughly the same cost for 20 years with respect to inflation.

Rollr4872 and izifaddag Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    And the irony is all this automation is because of human error but humans need to backup the automation? Hmmm

Rollr4872, izifaddag and shogun Thank this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Moore's Law

5. Blue Nomad

Blue Nomad Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    There will be some type of programmer or robotic engineer or something riding along, not typical trucker drivers going along for the ride I would suspect.

6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    That sounds like a money saver. Wonder if that guy gets paid by the mile

7. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    I think you are right - ultimately.
    Yes I do think it is going to be extremely difficult to follow a ribbon of asphalt. In fact as it stands right now with what I see all over the USA I think it is impossible.
    Will it come?
    Absolutely.
    Just not for a long time yet.
    Regarding most news articles regarding this subject they are slanted. The info needs to be taken in context and one needs to understand just exactly what are all the pieces of the puzzle are before committing to a view.
    I spent a long time working in the RF world. I was involved with some early GPS stuff too. I am applying my knowledge with a little common sense. My description of the Iridium project happened. I was right, Motorola was wrong. Cost goodness knows how much. Wish I had 1% of that wasted money.
    This is definitely coming but not anytime soon.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    This is true. Suncor has an entire mine area dedicated to testing autonomous Komatsu trucks. I can see the oil company's point of view though. They pay $150k-$200k a year for a haul truck operator, which is pretty much the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to mining operations and skills. With the cost of oil being so low, autonomous haul trucks could potentially save $600k-$800k a year in operations cost when you factor in you need 4 operators to keep the truck running 24/7.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  9. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    That is exactly what I am saying.
    And why hasn't that happened?
    Is it because we are technically incapable of making flying cars?
    No of course not.
    It is infrastructure, insurance, the legal system and government.

We are very advanced with the tech involved with all this but as for the rest...............good luck.

10. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    YOU NAILED IT !!!

11. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Shogun this is exactly what I have been saying.
    How many years ago did we see the amazing technology that was going to take all out jobs away by automating warehouses? Donkeys years ago is when.
    Has it happened?
    Hell no !!
    Why?
    Because it costs a fortune.
    The only automated warehouses I have seen have been built from the foundation up. There are under concrete GUIDANCE cables to start with. Exactly as I have said is needed with trucks. These warehouses cost a mint.
    They are so cost prohibitive that in practical terms they are an impossibility.
    The cost of setting up or changing an existing trucking company over to automation is going to be so expensive that they will be only to happy to have that driver.
    Boy I didn't realize that this thread would yield so many good posts both for and against. Glad I got this off my chest.

Rollr4872 and shogun Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.