Roehl Transport, Inc. - Marshfield, Wi.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Cocky, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    You better keep looking because all the piddly reasons you quit over happen everywhere in OTR and they get much worse.

roehl929 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Festus71

Festus71 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Festus
    Not surprised by your comment. The word "piddly" though shows your ignorance about another truckers experience. I understand that in any job you will always find issues that you must deal with and over come. There's no perfect job in this world. Do you understand that sir?

What I can't stand though are individuals who are rude and disrespectful and supervisors that give you absolutely no respect. In my case, I ran into that many times while in training at Roehl from several fleet managers.

Why did I have to call my wife on five different jobs to get better directions when that was exactly what the fleet manager should have done. Was it so much to ask them to do their job? By the way, I always tried calling the company that I was going to first. As you should know, sometimes it's after hours or the phone number is incorrect or goes to voicemail. Again, this is where the fleet manager, who sits on his butt all day, should have done his job. Especially when it came to new drivers. Yes, new drivers should prove themselves but there's only so much one can take. That goes for experienced drivers as well.

Driving for Roehl opened my eyes to what one could expect in the trucking industry. I understand that you don't learn every thing in training. That some things you learn while your out and on your own. That much I did learn while in my own truck for 30 days.

Should supervisors lie to you to get you to change jobs? How does that build respect with an employee? Should supervisors curse at you and then lie later to his boss so make the employee look bad?

Concerning the APU unit, it was really hot where I drove my truck. Mostly the midwest and south. Last summer those two parts of the country exceeded normal temps for two weeks straight. One night I sat in my truck just in my underwear wiping a towel over my body every two minutes because I was sweating profusely. I felt like I was baking in an oven because it was that hot and this was after 10 pm with the tempature around 100 degrees still. At certain times I felt like I couldn't breathe because it was so hot inside that truck.

Roehl, who preaches safety, denied me a truck with an apu unit. Where was the safety in this issue? Every time I sat in a truck stop or rest stop with my truck turned off I had to row down my windows. This was a big safety issue. In one case I had someone try to open my door and I was sitting in the driver seat. So I ask again, where was the safety in denying me a truck with an apu unit that I could have used in keeping my truck windows rolled up? I was told by a fleet manager in Gary that my safety wasn't the companies main issue but keeping my trucks fuel usage down was. REALLY???? I honestly couldn't believe the jerk said what he said to me on that particular issue.

Yet you tell me that my reasons for quitting are "piddly"? I say again, your not very sympathic to other drivers experiences.
    Then again, as far as I know you could be a Roehl employee other than a driver comenting to make me look silly to other potential future recruitments.

4. DOTrevenuepatrol

DOTrevenuepatrol Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    Thats pretty much how Roehl works with the directions, they were horrible. I was on the 7 on/7 off fleet which I highly recommend and always ran 2800 to 3500 miles in those 7 or less days. I had a p/t job when I got home and had a life unlike most OTR drivers.

Festus71 Thanks this.
  5. Festus71

Festus71 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Festus
    Thank you on your comments about how Roehl handled giving out directions. I appreicate knowing that I wasn't completely delusional. lol

6. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    I worked there for twelve years. I know about their directions. In those twelve years I can't remember ever calling dispatch and asking a guy at a desk how to get into a customer. They have other things to do than get directions for forty drivers. One time I stopped in the office and had them print out a Mapquest map to a job site. I usually called the actual customer. I called the local fire or police or looked it up on the internet or city map. The only time I trusted the Qualcomm directions is when it matched my GPS. I trusted the GPS more than the QC. I got along ten years without a APU. Most of the time the temperature cools down at night. Run the AC for an hour or two than shut it off. If you are in the deep south run it all night long. I had probably ten dispatchers when I was there. Two were really good, two were really bad, and the rest were decent. Only one could be a little condescending from time to time. What does the DRG say about regional? Doesn't it spell out the home time and days worked? I wasn't trying to be rude. But this industry can be a lot worse than you pointed out. I got out of it after twelve years. I miss certain aspects of it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If I had to go back to ORT though, Roehl would be at the top of my list.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. Festus71

Festus71 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Festus
    Your response was fair. I actually liked Roehl if you can believe it after my two postings. True, the fleet managers do have other things to do than find directions. Here is where I was coming from on my side. In Orientation the biggest repeated comment from the instructors was, "When in doubt, in trouble or you just need a second opinion, no matter what the question is about, call your fleet manager because that is what they are there for. To help you when you need help." I heard that at least 30 times during the four days I was in Marshfield for Orientation. That is where I was coming from in regards to calling the fleet manager for better directions. Since I was just starting out with little money, I had no GPS to rely on. I wish I had, I may have stayed longer than what I did. I just didn't care for the attitude of several fleet managers who acted as if they knew everything about trucking when in reality most likely never knew as much as they had to make you think.

When I did my exit interview I gave the company mostly 4's or 5's but gave the fleet managers a 2 as an overall rating.

8. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    This seems make me feel like our FM shouldn't be our "boss" they should be our teammate. We should have another person doing our supervision. Maybe that's not possible, but it would be nice.
    festus you should have been helped more during evo 3.
    as for directions from Roehl. They are directions from another driver most often. GPS is pretty important and so very helpful. I actually prefer my phone and google maps.
    well I could go on forever. Good luck in heading back out there.

9. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    Muds go somewhere else! no one needs to hear you calling people names and being rude. Btw its whining not winning. As for the guy asking the FM for directions it is what they especially the evo 3 fm is there to do. HELP! Fetus is obviously an inexperienced driver may even be a fist time trucker. Ever consider that? His issues may be nothing to you but he has a right to HIS issues. So remove yourself from this thread! you CB well forum Rambo!
    Sorry guys I usually don't jump back on people like this but it annoys me when some have to start name calling like we are in 3rd grade.
    have a great weekend. You included mudd...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    paoldschool and ship71021 Thank this.
  10. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    Wait why should I do that? Nobody asked you for you rude input either. Don't get on people for feeling some type of way if you can't take a little yourself. Fair is fair... lol owe and thanks for private message bro... nice. Hope you got mine. Have a great day!

11. UGA79

UGA79 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Warner Robins, GA
    so overall you guys/gals - inexperienced and experienced - like Roehl?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.