Roehl Transport, Inc. - Marshfield, Wi.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Cocky, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    TNtrucker07.Good luck with Roehl,I think you have made a good decision.I have been driving for them since aug.of 2006,and although I have had a couple of issues with them,they have been cleared up by talking it over with my DSR.I am on the 7 on 7 off program,and operate out of Akron,(Mogadore,OH.) drop yard.I am presently driving truck 7590,so if you see 7590 with an older guy driving stop and say hello.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudpuppy193

Mudpuppy193 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hi everyone-

I am thinking of getting into driving and Roehl seems to be a good fit for me as far as being based out of the Marshfield location. I have some questions on what areas do you typically get sent to and what type of freight do you haul? I realize a lot of that depends on the style of truck you are driving. Is one style "better" than another? I am thinking of either the 7/7 or 7/3- 7/4 programs. This is all very new to me and would be a major job change. I guess due to the wildly varying stories about trucking I see I am not sure if this is for me. I live alone and I own a house so I need to have some off time for upkeep and whatnot and I need to make about 30K a year, which sounds like it may be a stretch with the 7/7 program. Also if anyone has some links for sites that tell you some info on what the life of a trucker is really like I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

4. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Mudpuppy133,Truckin aint all that bad,however get ready to turn your life around.I dont know what Roehl starts a new driver out at,but I would thing you should make around $30,000. on the 7 on 3 off 7 on 4 off program.As an experienced driver,15 yrs. I am on course to make around $32,000.,to $35,000.a year.on the 7 on 7 off program.I operate out of the Mogadore,(Akron,OH.)drop yard.I haul dry vans,and haul just about everything possible,paper,insulation,Proctor and Gamble loads,cotton fiber,groceries,you name it we haul it.Living in NE Ohio I get a lot of NE freight,and also some TX,and FL.freight.As for miles I normally run 3000 plus on a 7 day run.This time of the year things are slow and my last trip was about 2500 miles.Its a different life out there,you are pretty much your own boss,once you are dispatched on a load.It involves trip planning,and getting the load to its destination on time,and making your pickups on time.Roehl normally sends you a fuel and routing note on the qual com,and if you follow that plan your paid miles will come pretty close to matching your odometer miles.They take good care of their equip.and I feel they are one of the better companies out there.Good luck.

5. Homeboy

Homeboy Light Load Member

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    I hope you are joking for this man. I have been with Roehl and on my own since September and my money is nowhere near that and I run National Van and have been home for 3 days for the month of February. My W-2 for the period August through December is a measly 11,000 dollars. No kidding. And you are telling this person that it is likely he/she is going to make that much on 7/4-7/3 in the first year. Especially if you are being dispatched out of Gary, Indiana. The only person there that has a clue is the terminal manager. He is good. Everything else needs help. I have nothing to gain by telling you a falsehood here. Also, be prepared for a few weeks of smiles, hugs and kisses and then the real world sets in. I don't care if you believe me now, but you will see, if you last long enough, that what I say is true. I hope everyone elses experience is better than mine, but I say that if you mix all of these over the road trucking companies in a tub and pour them out, they all pretty much smell and look and taste the same.
    Good luck to you newbies, you'll need it.

6. Homeboy

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    As for the "mistake", I have been to two DSR's, one terminal manager, and payroll. I was told by the payroll person that one of the wives of the owners had said that "We do not backpay drivers". I don't know how much higher you can go without owning the place. They make me laugh with their "We honor our commitments" and all that on the back of the card that they give you. I was told once that if you can falsify one statement then the rest of them are also suspect. I believe that I would have made them one he*& of a driver, as I am courteous to customers, I strive to make all of my pickups and deliveries on time, which I have, and I can drive the truck safely and efficiently. But I will forever have a bad taste in my mouth and look forward to finding other work. They can tell you what they want you to hear, but in the end you are nothing but a replaceable piece of meat operating their tools for making money and you save them money by them hiring cheaper drivers after we quit.
    My opinion, with 8 months of experience to form one.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Medium Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    NW PA
    My opinion after 3 1/2 years:

You need to call your ops manager, for you it's Kavin B. If you want to get him without going through your DSR, call the normal 1-800 #. As far as the payroll person you talked to...you can go higher than them also. Ask to talk to the head of payroll. They do backpay...we've had to deal with it twice and neither time has been an issue. It took a few weeks for them to check out the claim, but they paid it each time. How much higher can you go? Clear up to Rick if you have too.

I can understand your frustration on how you feel, but on the other hand, I never would have taken no for an answer in the first place. You need to choose which battles you are willing to fight for, and I'd think your paycheck would be one of them. Make sure you arm yourself with any info you can...and check the "bible". There is alot of information in there for your use. Don't be a push-over....if they can do it to you once, they will do it over and over again.

As far as your miles go, you're not the only one....Try being on a list of flatbeds sitting on the east coast Friday morning, and you are #20 without a load. That wasn't a 1 time experience either...it's been going on since Nov. It seems to be getting better now, from what I hear, but I have no personal knowledge on that since my husband went onto a dedicated run.

8. javajunky

javajunky Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2007
    doesnt sound like homeboy has been with roehl long enough to be putting them down this way.swift likes crybabies try them

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

The other driver said that he has been driving for 15 years. You been solo 5 months. Paychecks will reflect that.

10. Homeboy

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    I started with them through their RDTC on July 3, 2006. I have been through their evolutions 1, 2, and 3. Got my truck August 24, 2006. Perhaps I havent been with them long enough to know them intimately. However, my first month on my own, September, 2006, is when I had my first problem and it was not then and is not now resolved. As far as you bashing another company, perhaps you could share YOUR experience with Swift with us so we can compare, or are you judging others based solely on heresay. My experiences are from first hand experience.
    Any other comments that you have for me and my experience or attitude can be directed to me via p.m. I will respond accordingly.

11. Homeboy

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    Yes, but the advice he was giving and payroll estimates were meant for the new soon to be truck driver. I have spoken with no less than 3 drivers that I have met in terminals on the 7/4-7/3 and each one has said to me that Roehl greatly exaggerates their earnings to drivers in this program. I have never driven in this fleet, so I don't know. But, I don't know why those three drivers would tell me this if it weren't true

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.