Roll off truck questions

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Thetrashnoob, May 31, 2019.

1. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Like any business venture your all in or not in. You go in half assed your already dead. Don't do it if you cant or won't risk everything to make it, its not for you.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I’m going to wait until end of winter begin of spring to start my business! That way I can save up more of a safety net to start the business and have time to get all the paperwork together.

4. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    One thing you should be prepared for is a customer not paying. Have a lawyer ready insure you are set up properly. Llc inc ext.. and enough working capital to operate for a few months. Granted if its part time you won't need as much...

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Rolloffman87

Rolloffman87 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Still have questions about the roll off business? I have been in waste business for over 10 years now and have operated my rolloff business for almost two years now snd will tell you with hard work and good customer service you can and will succeed. If you have questions just let me know ill answer them to best of my knowledge. Personally, we use hooklift trucks and I love them. Hit me back if you need to.

Itsbrokeagain and Saylor91 Thank this.
  6. Saylor91

Saylor91 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2013
    What kind of trucks are you using if you dont mind me asking? Would a Ford F550 or F650 be to small for 15 and 20 yard dumpsters? How many dumpsters did you start with and how many do you have now? I was thinking about starting with 6 to 8.

7. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Just my 0.02, but a ford f550 or ram 5500 seems to be ok for 15/20 yd dumpsters (up to allowed weight ~ 5 tons). Look up "bin there done that" franchise which only uses these types of trucks. I started with 6 and once business picks up, find good deals on used dumpsters or buy new ones and get a tax credit (section 179) for new equipment.

8. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    For "Thetrashnoob"; I'm selling a mack roll off with 30 yd dumpsters if you are interested! I am outside of washington DC

9. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    PM me, I may be intrested!

10. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I called 3 local transfer stations today
    One was 180 a ton
    One was 190 a ton
    And one was 190 a ton 50 tons the price drops, 100 it drops etc
    I don’t see how after dump fees there’s any money to be made. To get into the business it seems like I’m going to have a real hard time turning a profit. So I have to think about that and see if it’s something I can even do.

11. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I don't know your market but if thats MSW prices (mixed solid waste, aka trash) a household clean out with a 30 yard dumpster at 4 tons give or take 7-8 hundred dollars? Plus fuel plus driver and related costs you would have to charge 1200 just to be feasible. Nobody would pay that for a measly 20 yard cleanup. I seriously must be missing something.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.