Roll off truck questions

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Thetrashnoob, May 31, 2019.

1. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Cab overs in general are losing popularity. They are almost a specialty truck. Not many manufacturers sell them in all specs, but you can have a 1000 variations of a standard model...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Is there any advantages with a cabiver? Found a 02 Mack cabiver Rolloff with a tarp system that looks to be in decent shape. But wasn’t sure if there’s an advantage with the cabiver vs standard model I’m guessing the wheelbase would be pretty close so no really advantage?

4. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN

Other that very tight jobs no advantage that i can think of. They are much less comfortable to boot.

5. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I’m looking for a versatile truck that will be able to handle 10-30/ possibly 40 yard cans
    would a truck like this setup work? I imagine you can add the tie downs on the Rails to tie down smaller cans.
    https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2005-MACK-CV713-5007304634

I know a smaller single axle truck would be best for smaller tighter delivers

6. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    That one is clean, a hard tail means less pistons but you also have a minimum height needed. As to shorter boxs you can use a speed chain, and some trucks have flip up locks halfway down the rails for shorter boxes

7. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Can you add those flip up locks? Or is a speed binder the only option?
    I’m trying to find a truck something like that. But just an idea of what I’m looking for.
    Something like that could haul 10-30/40 yard dumpsters?

8. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Im sure you can add them

Google Image Result for http://www.ghmfg.com/Images/products/1200-roll-off-hoist-2.jpg

In the pic you can see part way up a extra horn. They rotate up and down. Some are cut into the rail and some are welded to the inside.

9. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I see it now. I know it’s not a one size fits all truck but I went to get myself in a good position to be able to deliver different size cans. When looking for trucks how many miles is too many? I see a lot with 700k plus but I imagine those will need a lot of engine work and work in the future. Should I look for something with 400-500k miles?
    Thanks

10. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Unless you can verify maintenance be wary of anything over 500k for sure. Roll off is abusive to equipment. Overloading, rough terrain, lack of care and preventive service runs rampant in the industry. I put 500k on a new truck in less than 5 years. A blown hydraulic line can cost well over 1,500 dollars after repairs and lost production. Ask freddy what he was into when he started. Its not a easy business to get off the ground.

11. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    So I’m guessing a lot of the 20k range trucks in finding like this
    1997 MACK RD688
    should be avoided? I’ve been on commrricaltrucktrader truck paper searching and isn’t much under 30k, more than that I’d have to finance and I’m trying to pay cash getting into the business.
    Or something like this?
    1993 MACK CL 713 | eBay

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.