Roll off truck questions

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Thetrashnoob, May 31, 2019.

1. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I can't be certain about that not being a in/out vs a out only, as i have only driven a out and deadlift. However if its a out the vertical section could be to protect the rails or aid in keeping the dumpster from hopping the rail.

Mack Rd roll off truck Galbreath hoist 300 E7 46k rears (parts) CAB/TRANS SOLD | eBay

In this one you can see the distance between the rollers and the top of the rail. That section is where the dumpster overlaps the rail.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    little update. I got cost per ton to dump at 3 transfer stations local to me.
    One is 130 per ton C&d and msw
    Another is 150 per ton c&d and msw ( offer discount on the tonnage after you hit x amount of tons a month)
    Last one is 190 per ton C&d and msw ( discount after x amount of tons per month)
    I still need to call the local landfill (waste management, and last local transfer station, again waste management)
    So running the numbers off of those numbers it seems if I started with 5 dumpsters,
    1 10 yard
    2 15 yard
    2 20 yard
    There is some profit to be made. I will be doing this in addition to my day job so i will still have income coming in. I need to find out how much it’s gonna cost to buy containers and get them delivered. Working on that now. If all goes well, should be able to get starting by springtime.

4. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    10's will hold 2-3 tons of cd. Mostly only small bathroom remodels or a very small roofing job and the like.

15's will be small to medium roofs and medium sized construction projects. 4-5 tons would be a heavy average.

20's are the most common for asphalt roofing. Easily up to 6-7 tons if its shingles.

5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Dont forget to plan for things like overloaded boxes, contaminants like trash in a c&d load, paint batteries ect.. how will you enforce it? How long will the rental be for? Will it be dumpster plus dump fee? Or flat rate?
    At 5 tons your in for 650 bucks dump fee minimum. Can you dump by the yard? Some places will do 40-80 a yard no weight charge... your only getting paid for one half the time don't forget. Dropping off makes no money. Theres alot that goes into it. Its good you have other incomes to offset it....

6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Dont understand where the money is?
    In Chicagoland area dumpster rates are 300 ish for a 10 yrs, up to 500ish for a 40 yrd. After paying dumping fees (180a ton) wheres the profit?
    These dumping fees must be much less than you guys are quoting.
    If I dump 1 1/2 tons in a 10 yrd er you'd be losing money

7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Its alot cheaper if you own the landfill...

slim shady Thanks this.
  8. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    How would you be losing money if you dump 1 1/2 tons in a 10 yard?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  9. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Around here, 10 yarders get 1 ton
    15 get 1.5
    20 gets 2-3
    30 gets 3-4

10. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    @ $180. a ton that's $270 to dump.
    A 10 yrd rental fee is $300. ish
    So you made $30.

11. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Sorry mate but those are ridiculous numbers. A 20 from a shingle job is 5-6 if its single layer and 6-7.5 if its double layer. Did it for 8 years. A 30 will come in around 5 with general c&d (mixed debris) and around 6 if its a cedar shake job. A 10 only getting 1 ton??

Ok, good on you for recognizing having to check your load, but where are you dumping that you can mix c&d and msw without being charged? More than a estimated 5 percent trash in a c&d load here will add 75 per ton to discourage dirty loads. And thats the transfer stations prerogative as to when it breaks that point.

I rent a dumpster im paying for space. Not weight, i can't weigh my trash or debris before putting it in, so how does anyone know what anything weighs?

Ok, lets assume you are correct across the board, have you spoken to anyone in your area (small operations) doing this type of work?

Look im not trying to dissuade you, and your area may work completely differently than mine, but theres alot that doesn't make sense to me from some of your answers is all...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.